Understanding motor rotation

CktMeister

Joined Jun 8, 2011
I am having a problem understanding motor rotation reversal. According to the all about circuits tutorial, swapping any two phases on a three phase motor causes it to reverse direction. I understand how the magnetic fields change so that by the left hand rule the magnetic fields vary in such a way that they either push or pull the rotor in one direction or other.

My problem is the following:

According the rule that swapping any two phases on a motor causes it to reverse direction, if I build a motor whose windings are configured to run clockwise when I apply 123 phased power, then it will run counter-clockwise when I apply 213, 321, or 132 power.

So haven't I also designed a motor that runs counter clockwise when I apply 321 power?

So then by "the swap any two phase rule", the motor should run clockwise when I apply 123,231,or 312.

And so if you swap three phases, or any two phases twice, you maintain the same direction-three ways for the motor to run clockwise and three ways counter clockwise?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
...if I build a motor whose windings are configured to run clockwise when I apply 123 phased power, then it will run counter-clockwise when I apply 213, 321, or 132 power.
correct

So haven't I also designed a motor that runs counter clockwise when I apply 321 power?
correct

So then by "the swap any two phase rule", the motor should run clockwise when I apply 123,231,or 312.
correct

And so if you swap three phases, or any two phases twice, you maintain the same direction-three ways for the motor to run clockwise and three ways counter clockwise?
correct