Understanding CT selection

mjscott

Joined May 21, 2014
Hello,
I need some way to monitor when a 220VAC circuit is in use. This circuit powers an outdoor radiant heater, which according to the specs, draws 12 AMPS. The header has two states, on and off, therefore the load should be consistent when the heater is on.

My theory is to install a torroidal CT in the circuit which powers the heater (over one of the conductors), and drive an LED from this CT. I have never worked with CTs before, and I do not know how to select the correct one. Also, I don't know if I will need any other components in this circuit (diodes, resistors, etc...).

The purpose of this little project is to have a reminder light (LED) inside my home to alert me if the heater was accidentally left on.

Thanks in advance of any help provided.
Mike

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
There are cts available with led built in.

There have been threads on that subject in the last year. Search isn't working for me right now.:(

I've connected cts direct to led with success.
If you can find those threads, I won't have to redo the experiment.:)

mjscott

Joined May 21, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply. I also tried the 'search' functions many times before posting, with only server errors returned.

A CT direct to LED is an ideal solution... if I knew what specs to use when purchasing the CT and LED. I'm sure there is some 'electronics math' for this, but I don't know where to start.

A CT with built-in LED is interesting, as long as the LED is on a lead I could extend. The circuit to the heater is in my crawlspace, and I want to install the LED in my kitchen.

Cheers,
Mike

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It sure would help if I knew what country you are in or frequency your power is on. Then I might find the part for you.

Anyway, a current transformer puts out current. Seems obvious enough. What isn't obvious is that if it doesn't have any where for the current to go, it makes voltage...Lots of voltage. So the first rule of current transformers is: The current must always have an escape route.

I found some that have a 500 to one ratio. 12 amps would cause 24 milliamps on the output. With the following circuit, R1 is not included, R2 is a short, and the LED gets 24 ma on each half cycle. That averages to 12 ma and the LED is happy. The extra diode shorts out the unwanted polarity and the current transformer is happy.

Attachments

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Just be sure the transformer's secondary is loaded on both half cycles and to protect the LED from excessive reverse voltage. One way to do both is to connect two LEDs such that the conduct on opposite phases of the power line.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
just make sure the ct is loaded at all times, it is afterall, a 1 to 500 stepup transformer, and will deliver a nasty shock across an unloaded secondary.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One way to do both is to connect two LEDs such that they conduct on opposite phases of the power line.
On a good day, you might even be able to find an LED with 2 leds inside it, one for each polarity. I use the red/green LEDs to make good/bad idiot lights.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I pulled the sense coil from an old GFCI and tied an LED/diode to it. Threaded one lead of feed power through the hole and WALLA! A current indicator.