under amp battery for mc okay?

kuri77

Joined Dec 5, 2013
My mc calls for a 12v 14AH 200CCA battery. In order to save space I have a 7AH 100CCA Odyssey battery which is a quality battery. Since I only use the battery for starting(running) and the bike rarely sees anything under 60 degrees here in California is this battery likely to die earlier than expected?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It will die early, probably won't be able to crank the starter very well, and when the bike is idling or at lower RPM, the lights will dim and the system voltage will sag.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If you must save size and weight, you could try one of the new Li Fe batteries (like Shorai) but they are pricey.

I just put a new AGM battery on my KZ750 and it cranks great.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It will likely die somewhat sooner and may crank the engine somewhat slower. If you already have the battery I suggest just try it and see.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Are the headlights fixed on all the time? Are the headlights on when starting the engine?

If so it's wise to go with the original battery, 14Ah is a big battery for a motorcycle, and they have chosen that size for a reason.

If the lights are off when starting the engine and you live somewhere warm then you might be ok with a smaller battery.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Are the headlights fixed on all the time? Are the headlights on when starting the engine?

If so it's wise to go with the original battery, 14Ah is a big battery for a motorcycle, and they have chosen that size for a reason.

If the lights are off when starting the engine and you live somewhere warm then you might be ok with a smaller battery.
All bikes made for USA after 1978 have the lights locked on (no light switch at all). It REALLY shortens the battery life. On mine, I was averaging about 18 months life on the first three batteries (14 AH) so I modified the system with relays to cut off all lights when the starter cranks. Now the same type batteries average about 6 years.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Wow! Thanks for the info.

They tried that here in Australia, forcing new bikes to have lights on all the time (no headlight on/off switch).

It only lasted for 2 or 3 years, then they changed it back again as there was evidence of safety issues (crashes caused by bike lights being on in the daytime). The bike makers straight away changed back to switchable lights, as it reduced their warranty and reliability issues (flat batteries, failing to start etc).

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the battery in my 96 triumph bonnieville just died, the new agm battery for it was only about 50 at wal mart. its a 14 ah battery, the same size as the origional. my son has a newer triumph thruxton, with electronic fuel injection, some one at the factory isnt very familiar with lead acid bateries, the program in the fuel injection computer is set to not allow the starter to turn if the battery voltae is under 12.5 volts. you will find very few lead acid batteries in anything overe 12.5 volts if they have been used at all then let set.