undecided on changing Internet and Phone provider?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by frank55, Sep 15, 2014.

1. frank55

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Hi guys i have Verizon DSL broadband 3.0 bts download .700 upload and my bill is 90bucks,
    i was thinking of changing to Com Cast the offer 25bts INTERNET and phone for 50bucks for 12 month
    and say after the 12 moth bill will be 75bucks but i fear that in the end with all the hidden fees and charges it will be more than i pay now for Verizon.Any advice please i live in Massachusetts.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/shop/productoverview.html?ex=False

2. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    Depends if Com Cast has lines in your area there shouldn't be any extra costs but if it doesn't and has to use some other providers lines then they gonna charge extra but shouldn't be much.

3. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    When negotiating with Internet et.al. providers, I tell them that a) I won't sign unless I see a complete months bill and b) require the same for a bill at the end if any promotional period. They fight, but you can walk away at any time. I explain that it's my policy not to buy anything unless I know it's cost. Surely they can see that is reasonable. I also get significantly better results in a store front, as opposed to over the phone or online. Interestingly, when sitting at a desk with walking shoes on, various sales programs become available that you wouldn't have been offered otherwise. You can (and I have) bring various offers from competitors to the table, and get a matching or custom offer. Remember one thing. Never make a decision based on a promotional offer - always on the cost when the offer expires.

#12 and Brownout like this.
  4. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    I use a different phone and internet provider, the reason is if the phone quits working, the internet will still be there to report it and visa versa. as if cox ever answers their phones anyway.

5. MrSmoofy

Jul 28, 2014
    Is that your only option where you are located? I can tell you comcast internet sucks my girlfriend has it, but then I'm spoiled by my Verizon FiOS where I get 150mbit up and down.

6. frank55

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Thanks guys; the only options are Xfinity ComCasts and DSL internet and phone from Verizon

i use the telephone mostly just for local call and receive calls and when i want to call international i buy a prepaid card at the local store,

most the bills lately are a steady total of 92.68

Verizon freedom essentials 45.00
    Internet extra ............... 29.99
    a total of ......................74.99
    i use the telephone mostly just for local call and receive calls and when i want to call international i buy a prepaid card at the local store,

most the bills lately are a steady total of 92.68

Verizon freedom essentials 45.00
    Internet extra ............... 29.99
    a total of ......................74.99

Government taxes............2.83

Verizon Subcharges /fees..14.86

Totall of........................ 92.68

Government taxes............2.83

Verizon Subcharges /fees..14.86

Totall of........................ 92.68

7. MrSmoofy

Jul 28, 2014
    If you don't need phone for much, what I've done is gone to a VoIP line from callcentric.com a lot cheaper then getting phone service from the big providers. You can then use your computer for phone calls with a softphone application or just get a VoIP device/phone that works with their system. $5.95 a month to receive unlimited calls. Then you have options for outgoing I do not use my home line a lot so I just do the pay per call but you can get minute bundles or unlimited as well. The also have good international rates.

8. frank55

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2013

I agree with you but my wife don't see it that way,besides i think one h to leave pc on 24/7 ,

9. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    I don't know if this works in USA but doesn't hurt to try. Turn off the cable TV receiver and it should double your download speed if everything is going via the same internet cable. ;)

10. frank55

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2013
    I don't t have any tv provider, i use to pay Dnet 120bucks, i've quited 6 years ago,just use fta satellite and Ota,i have an HD satellite receiver with HD OTA tuner, also use my PC for streaming video i subscribe to Premiumsports.com for the Portuguese channel Sport Tv Americas for 150bucks a year for my favorite soccer games,that's the only sport i like and any other soccer games all over the world i use the links for free streaming.