unbreakable audio

Biff383

Joined Jun 6, 2012
What can I do to be sure that rented amps and speakers can't be damaged by idiots?

I realize that someone will reeducate the idiot, but give me some guidelines to over modulation at the input.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
define damage?
kicked over?
blown?

It is 100% impossible to "idiot proof" something.. Idiots will always find a way to be idiots.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What exactly did you have in mind that would be even remotely practical.
  1. Speakers that reduce the power amp output?
  2. Power amps that measure the spekaer impedance and adjust the output accordingly?
Not that I think either of those would be practical.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What can I do to be sure that rented amps and speakers can't be damaged by idiots?

I realize that someone will reeducate the idiot, but give me some guidelines to over modulation at the input.
Connect the amps to a power cord (that only you know about) with a inline fuse of about 1 or 2 amps. When some drunk fool cranks it to 11, pop goes the fuse not your speakers and amp. Then look at the drunk fools face. :)

Biff383

Joined Jun 6, 2012
I suppose that it is not possible. I just thought I'd ask the smartest people I know. .......then again.....a lot of them are not awake yet.

Biff383

Joined Jun 6, 2012
Connect the amps to a power cord (that only you know about) with a inline fuse of about 1 or 2 amps. When some drunk fool cranks it to 11, pop goes the fuse not your speakers and amp. Then look at the drunk fools face. :)
Yugh confrontation is not an option. I tend to stay away from people.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Incandescent lamps are sometimes connected in series with drive units, particularly tweeters and midrange units. High currents cause the filament to heat up and its resistance to increase rapidly, thereby, reducing the power to the loudspeaker. It may seem a little crude but it can work very effectively as the filament is subject to the same heating affects as the loudspeaker coil and it's the heat that does the damage.

There is some useful information on the subject here:

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/speaker-failure.html

Last edited:

Biff383

Joined Jun 6, 2012
Incandescent lamps are sometimes connected in series with drive units, particularly tweeters and midrange units. High currents cause the filament to heat up and its resistance to increase rapidly, thereby, reducing the power to the loudspeaker. It may seem a little crude but it can work very effectively as the filament is subject to the same heating affects as the loudspeaker coil and it's the heat that does the damage.
That might work with the people that I am dealing with

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
For protection tailored to each speaker individually, a bidirectional tranzorb is basically two high power zener diodes in series in a single diode package. If you know the AC voltage peak the speaker can tolerate, a tranzorb across the speaker terminals will clip anything above that no matter what amp is connected. That and a fuse in series with the speaker will turn a small overdrive into distortion, and a large overdrive into silence.

ak