Unauthorized Charges On Blocked Credit Card

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Glenn Holland, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Glenn Holland

Thread Starter Member

Dec 26, 2014
    I believe someone may have attempted to make unauthorized charges on my credit card ("PHISHING") so I called the 800 number to report a lost/stolen card and had it "blocked" for further charges.

I tested the blocked card on a self checkout terminal at my supermarket, and verified that it was in fact blocked and no charges could be made. The bank also verified it was blocked and sent me a new card. However, my bank statement shows that 8 days after I had it blocked, the PHISHING suspects had still made a charge on this card.

How could a charge be made on a card 8 days after it was blocked? According to the agreement, the card holder is not liable for charges made after a card is reported as lost/stolen. Can a fraudulent charge be "reversed" and the perpetrator's bank account gets debited for the amount?

2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Did you complain to the bank immediately? Take your statement down to the bank and have a talk with them. They should not have paid them.

3. Glenn Holland

Thread Starter Member

Dec 26, 2014
    After I suspected the activity might be fraudulent, I immediately sent an email to the bank requesting that no further charges be allowed on the card. I also contacted the bank within an hour after instating the block and they also verified it was blocked and a new card would be sent.

My online statement doesn't show the actual date of the charge, just the date it was officially logged on my account - which is 8 days after the card was blocked.

4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Still, the recorded transaction was later than the date you reported a problem.

5. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Sometimes charges don't show up on your account right away. Regardless of the delay, if the charge is fraudulent, the credit card company will remove it (most of the time.)

6. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I know my "tab" on sundays from my pool league doesn't show up till Wednesday at the latest. I did have my CC number stolen from there and the company refused a charge of 300 and contacted me. I cancelled the card and requested a new one. I did tell them about my three most recent charges so those could get paid.

Reconciling your accounts are important. Of course if your philanthropy includes allowing others to use your card ... you might as well post it on the internet.