Unable to post in the forums?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It sometimes happens on this forum.
Unfortunately I can not do anything about it.
Try posting a thread with a short title (less than 20 characters), It helps for me.

Bertus

s_mack

Joined Dec 17, 2011
I'm having tons of trouble right now. This is a test to see if I can reply. I certainly can't post a new one.

edit: ok, that worked. I spent 20 minutes typing my topic and then it hung when I tried to post it. Figuring it was a weird site glitch, I spent another 15 minutes re-typing it... same thing! At least the 2nd time I was smart enough to copy/paste it into notepad first.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
S-mack refer to posts 2 & 3. Invisible requirement is that title is <20 characters. It's a glitch that gives you 500 error.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I first encountered it months ago. I don't know how long it has been there but I suspect since the last upgrade. The guys who run the site don't have time to fix it I guess, but it's a very minor thing, totally eclipsed by the fact that the site is totally free with no ads. Not worth raising a stink about, considering the owners pay for the site out of their own pockets.

s_mack

Joined Dec 17, 2011
No stink... just surprised I hadn't noticed. 20 chars is pretty low... I'm sure I would have exceeded that limit before now. So I wondered if it was just recent.

I imagine it would be extremely simple to fix. It is likely a matter that the SQL field was declared with a very low limit without the PHP code making sure that limit isn't exceeded. The easiest thing would be to modify the SQL table (super easy and I could give instructions if admin wants). More difficult, but only a little, would be to find the php file that processes posts and set it to truncate to 20 (or whatever it is) chars. A little more difficult still would be to throw in some Javascript for the users' benefit so they are aware when they've "broken the rules".

Cheers.

- Steven

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Give it a shot with less than 20 characters to see if you can create a new thread. Then try to extend the thread title by editing the title of your first post. If nothing else works, ask a mod to edit the title of the thread directly.

It might be a simple fix, but there's no one around with the authority to perform it. Admins are on stealth lately.

s_mack

Joined Dec 17, 2011
Yes, it worked with a short title. Sorry, I neglected to say that I was able to make my post :)

MIA admin is perfectly understandable when they aren't getting paid. It'd just be nice if they would hand the keys over to someone when they were gone.

- Steven