Ultrasonic sensors for detecting obstacle ahea + many other querries relatedd

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by srini619, Aug 5, 2012.

1. srini619

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Hi guy....

i have the following doubts.....

1) Im trying to implement an ultrasonic sensor to detect an obstacle ahead.How does it work , how will the output be....so tht i have to look into finding out a suitable method to acquire the data...[ like will the output be in terms of voltages for different distances]

2)any logic with which i can sense the speed of the body ahead.

3)any other things to look into while installing it?

if u guys know any site that can give me every detail bt this sensor , pls tell......i saw some sites , but they were vauge......i wud like to know the entire working principle ......

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    How can we possibly steer you to "site that can give me every detail bt this sensor" when you haven't indicated what sensor you are talking about? Hint -- there is more than one kind of ultrasonic sensor in the world.

In general, an ultrasonic sensor transmits pulses of sound and then listens for the echoes. Based on the time delays, distances can then be computed (based on assumptions about the speed of sound in the medium).

There are a number of ways to determine the relative speed of the object ahead. Which is the most applicable method depends on the specific sensor type you are using.

3. srini619

Aug 5, 2012
    oops ....m sorry.....but im totally new to this field....so thts y im missing out a lot of information...

let me brief u about my project

i wish to use an ultrasonic sensor infront of a car (prototype) and detect any obstacle ahead and decelerate according to its speed.....

to be frank , im totally new to this side of the branch

im just checking out on d sensors.....if u ggot any suggestions , pls do tell...

also i heard that the output would be a varying voltage depending upon the distance , so i guess i need to get an A/D converter or something like that....and put it in sync with an algorithm via a microcontroller.....

all ur comments r appreciated :)

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I don't know that ultrasonics would be the way to go for this (but I don't know that they wouldn't). I would think that a pulse-coded radar would be more suitable.

5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    There are plenty of ways to do what you want with ultrasonic sensors, they are not new, almost all cars built today have some form of ultrasonic backup sensors.....

An ultrasonic range sensor does not always put out an analog output, it is usually configured to output a TTL level signal when an echo is detected.....

Look into how Ultrasonic range finders work (use google!)

Although there are ultrasonic sensors on vehicles, they usually do not work well while the car is moving.... road/wind noise will cause issues.... (since most work around the 40Khz range, any noise that can produce that sound frequency will cause issues)

6. srini619

Aug 5, 2012
    k. thank u :)