ultracapacitors and batteries

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Michaeljayclark - Could you post some photos of your truck? What motor are you using? what controller? What batteries?

This is one of those projects that have been on the back burner for me. Lawless Industries is in my city/area and since seeing some of their projects it got me thinking about doing something on a smaller scale. Like an electric trike.

Instead of caps I was thinking of adding a couple of extra batteries that would be added in when the speed was below at say 10 miles per hour and cut out at around 40. Using the speed sensor from the transmission too trigger a contactor would do it. Cheaper than the caps.

michaeljayclark

Joined Mar 13, 2011
Mr lawless, now that guy knows how to have fun! Ive met him once two years ago down at the palm beach raceway.

the jimmy has the body up on jackstands and the frame on the floor now. suspension and things are still on it, ill be taking that stuff all off to paint the frame and recondition it.

there is a 1994 S-10 at my house that will get the batteries installed that will then go to the jimmy. I may need to wait another month to get the jimmy complete. In the meantime I can use the S-10 and not have to pay for that stuff that comes out of the ground at $3.50 a gallon.

Ill be happy to send pictures and details. To just do an s-10 with just batteries is pretty simple actually. All the parts are off the shelf and easy to find. with the 235 amp hour batteries the S-10 should get about 70 miles. the batteries that were in it originally where 215 amp hour batteries.

24 6 volt batteries to get 144 volts.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Yeah Shawn and my kids played together years ago when his Dad and I were in a Jeep/4 wheel drive club. His Dad took Jeeps as serious as he does EV's.

I had never heard of the Peukert effect until this thread. From the research the last couple of days I think that while the discharge part of the effect is bad, its not as bad for the batteries as the effect during charging. That seems to be what kills batteries, too fast of a charge rate.

It didn't make sense at the time, but I worked for Delphi electric(GM) and they had battery packs set up in the engineering department where they would charge and discharge them over and over again. I just assumed that they were testing how many cycles they would take. Like a life test. But they had all kinds of sensors hooked to them and were probably measuring Peukert's too. They wouldn't say too much about what they were actually doing.

michaeljayclark

Joined Mar 13, 2011
there is a book called Convert It!

it has a section dedicated to formulas and peukert's law is actually in the set of formulas. I just heard of mr. P recently, did some research and in my 2 years of EV college, I can really see where the peukert law is proven.