Ulrich Rohde

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Georacer, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    Does anybody know him, other than from the internet?

The last three days we held an EE student conference country-wide in Athens, and a professor invited him to give a speech.

He was presented as a big name and my curiosity tingled.

P.S. Winning the electronics section award with this got me a 3G Nexus 7. Not bad. Now I 'll have to create an artificial need for it. Sucks.

2. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Seems to be big in the RF, comm, and microwave world.

3. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    That much was made known to us. He gave an especially convoluted 30min speech about his current research in VCOs, at an audience of mostly sophomore EEs. Not exactly digestible. Even me, at my 6th year now, couldn't keep up, since my expertise and courses choice is on automation.

4. davebee

Oct 22, 2008
    Sue_AF6LJ likes this.
  5. Sue_AF6LJ

Mar 16, 2013
    I wish I was there for that.
    The guy is also an amateur radio operator and has published many articles over the years.

6. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    Yeah, he argued that anyone that wants to get involved into RF should get an amateur radio license and that's sound advice.

I met a couple of other guys in the conference who had one and since I 'll get involved partially with some comms systems as part of a control projects, I 'm thinking about getting one.

There's some distance from thinking to actually doing, though.

7. Sue_AF6LJ

Mar 16, 2013
    There are not too many roadblocks to getting an amateur radio license these days. The Morse code was a major road block for me, as soon as I found out they lifted that requirement I did a bit of studying, took some practice tests and went from no license to Extra Class in one sitting. With a reasonable amount of dedication anybody with even a passing interest in electronics could do it, and the regulations are mostly common sense.

You can pass the tests with little more than some simple algebra, although there is the usual question or two on the General and Extra tests that involve AC theory...

Georacer likes this.
  8. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    I think a master in EE will cover that "litter more". Thanks for the info. I hope I 'll manage to get myself into taking the exam sometime.