UL certification

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bobdxcool, Apr 2, 2015.

1. bobdxcool

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Hi guys. I wanted to know what is the cost of getting a product UL certified in India. What is the fee charged by the testing authority ? I have a product (charging station) composed of electronics, mechanical, PCB boards. Will they certify the whole product ? There are many UL certification codes on their website. So, when I take my product for certification, will they give me an UL certificate and say it is UL certified meeting his UL 111 standard or in general just saying its UL approved.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Why not ask the UL people?
    They should know more about themselves than we know about them.

3. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    You should ask UL, no one else can answer these questions for you.

As a rule of thumb; UL certification = very, very expensive.

For example; a certifying body would probably charge >$1000 USD just to amend a document, which may be necessary if you were to make a minor change to your product.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    It's sometimes more cost effective to have your product use an external power source (e.g. wall wart) that already has UL certification.

HTH
    Dennis

5. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    From what I know, both the European Union and Canada have agreements to accept each others certifications. If you can, try to find a tester close to you. It may be easier to deal with an agency close to you.

Some other comments:

Read all of the applicable UL standards before submitting your product for testing. There may be more than one that apply to your product.

Use components that are already UL accepted in the parts of your circuit that affect safety. Otherwise, UL will either bypass the parts and continue testing or charge you for testing them. As an example, if you use a fuse holder that is not UL approved, they will short around your fuse and then make sure your device is safe. :(

Always carefully read any communications from UL. They have a way of saying things that at first do not make sense.

If your product can emit radio frequency signals either intentionally or unintentionally you will probably need testing for that as well. In the US this is done to FCC requirements.

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    For us the inital fees were burdensome, about $1200.00 IIRC. What killed us was the ongoing fess of maintaining the file. We got a bill from them every quarter for an outrageous sum like $600.00 for doing nothing.

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    All depends on the device and the specific standard you are attempting to get certified for..
    But yes expect a couple thousand..
    UL will obviously give you a free quotation.. Just call/email/ask them

8. Brevor

Apr 9, 2011
    Does UL certify products in India ?

9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    No, they certify products at their facility at 333 Pfingsten Rd., Northbrook, IL
    You send them units and documentation and they run their tests.

They also have offices in Bangalore and Haryana
    See:
    http://ul.com/aboutul/locations/
    Maybe they have expanded since the last time I looked.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  10. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    Expect to spend up to $20K - no joke.

Depends on what it is, but it's always crazy expensive.

11. Nykolas

Aug 27, 2013
    Get info here: http://india.ul.com/locations/. I put 3 products through the UL/CSA/CE approval process. It is an expensive, time consuming and onerous process. Good luck! E

12. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012