[UK] Help with Soldering Selection

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by 1Mperios, Dec 10, 2013.

1. 1Mperios

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Hello all,

I am relatively new to the world of electronics. I currently own a cheap soldering iron (20quid) and would like to step up the game to a better one. I live in the UK, and would like to own a soldering station with temperature control which shouldn't cost more than 60-80 quid. Recommendations or suggestions for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Also: which store in the UK offers the best deals on electronics components.

Cheers. :)

2. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Have a look at CPC, you will probably find a decent soldering iron as well as components. Rapid Electronics is also worth a look. I've dealt with both and I've no complaints.

3. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    I like Weller and Hako for temp-controlled soldering stations. At 80quid ($131.00 in the colonies; I don't know what it is in Texas - we're different :) ) you should be able to get something basic but useful. Since you'll be buying tips and things over the years that you use it, buy something in a known brand avoiding the Chinese cheapos..

For temp-controlled you can go bigger in watts 60-100 maybe and let the controls handle the temperature. I run my Wellers at 700 degF as a nice balance between heat, controllability and tip life.

You'll never regret buying quality tools. Just my .01 quid.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
  5. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
  6. 1Mperios

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and links! I will check them out.