uC for medical device

andrew24

Joined Aug 20, 2008
Hello. I'm designing a medical device with 10 sensors(in-amps).Signals from them needs to be fed to ADC (12-20 bit).
Sample rate 1024. They need to be filtered real-time with some high order digital filters(60Hz notch, 150Hz low pass, 0.05Hz high pass).Then sent to a PC.
would msp430 (MSP430FG437 exactly) be suficcient for this task, or i need some ARM based uC or even DSP?

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It still hinges on a few things, but if you want real time processing of 10 sources, I would use a DSP. If the computer is doing the processing, You could use quite a variety of chips.
If you are taking 1024 samples a sec on from 10 sensors and averaging them and sending the result to the PC say once a second, Many many chips could handle this (10bit or greater)

ftsolutions

Joined Nov 21, 2009
You need to have an idea of what your signal/noise ratio needs to be, dynamic range and allowable error to help choose appropriate parts - how many bits of resolution do you need in the A/D? Are any signals bipolar in sign (and thus you need to scale&convert them to unipolar range if you're planning to feed them into a typical microcontroller's ADC inputs)? DSP chips usually have more efficient A/D support hardware than more general purpose microcontrollers, such as ARM, PIC, etc. but sometimes the development toolsets are much more expensive.