uC for medical device

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by andrew24, Feb 6, 2010.

1. andrew24

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Hello. I'm designing a medical device with 10 sensors(in-amps).Signals from them needs to be fed to ADC (12-20 bit).
    Sample rate 1024. They need to be filtered real-time with some high order digital filters(60Hz notch, 150Hz low pass, 0.05Hz high pass).Then sent to a PC.
    would msp430 (MSP430FG437 exactly) be suficcient for this task, or i need some ARM based uC or even DSP?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    What kind of AD do you plan to use in your project?

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    It still hinges on a few things, but if you want real time processing of 10 sources, I would use a DSP. If the computer is doing the processing, You could use quite a variety of chips.
    If you are taking 1024 samples a sec on from 10 sensors and averaging them and sending the result to the PC say once a second, Many many chips could handle this (10bit or greater)

4. ftsolutions

Nov 21, 2009
    You need to have an idea of what your signal/noise ratio needs to be, dynamic range and allowable error to help choose appropriate parts - how many bits of resolution do you need in the A/D? Are any signals bipolar in sign (and thus you need to scale&convert them to unipolar range if you're planning to feed them into a typical microcontroller's ADC inputs)? DSP chips usually have more efficient A/D support hardware than more general purpose microcontrollers, such as ARM, PIC, etc. but sometimes the development toolsets are much more expensive.