Ubuntu Live--"Mount" option grayed out?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hello everyone.

As you all probably know, I recently bought a new desktop computer. I borrowed a DVI monitor, so at least now I have a display (as opposed to before, when I had no signal output from the VGA plug), but I'm having a new problem now.

I currently have Ubuntu installed, and would like to replace it with Windows 7. I have the installation disk for 7, but the installer complains that the HD is not formatted as NTFS. I used gparted (included in Ubuntu Live) to format the partition, but then I realized it was not mounted. I figured this was the reason Windows wasn't installing (I tried it after formatting but Windows still wouldn't install). So I opened up gparted on my Ubuntu Live disc and went to mount it, but the "mount" option is grayed out.

Do any of you Ubuntu users out there know what's going on? Did I miss a step somewhere?

I'm afraid I'm still not very good with Ubuntu. I'm really a Windows guy :p

Thank you!
Best wishes,
Matt

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hello,

Perhaps will the "hiren's boot CD" help:
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

It contains a heap of tools for manipulating software and harddisks.

The following tools are available on it:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Bertus
Thank you Bertus. Someone else also suggested that to me. Unfortunately it requires that it be burned onto a disc (CD-R or DVD-R), and I"m afraid I'm fresh out. I might go out and buy some, but was just wondering if there were other possibilities....

If not, I'll get some discs and give hiren a shot.

Many thanks!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks guys. I think I finally got it to work. From the Windows installer I had to delete the current partition on the hard drive, then reformat it. It seems to be working now--it's currently at 85% on the expanding windows files section :D

Sorry to bother you guys with this just to figure it out myself. I'll keep this thread in mind though, in case something else comes up. I think this could prove to be very useful in the future!

Much appreciated!
Best wishes,
Matt

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Matt,

Does it mean that Windows was erased or just one of the partitions was formatted?

Sorry my knowledge on this is very limited.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Matt,

Does it mean that Windows was erased or just one of the partitions was formatted?

Sorry my knowledge on this is very limited.
No problem atferrari :)

I deleted the partition that was there from the last installation, which was eventually reformatted. Once I deleted that partition, it was "unallocated space" that I was able to format and install windows on as a new partition.

Does this make sense?

Regards,
Matt