UART PC Interface

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Col, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Col

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm developing a PIC24 controlled base station to provide an RF communication and relay of sensor data. In my application the device will connect directly into a serial network.

In the debug stage I would like to examine measured data, and receive program updates via the UART. I see that RS232 transceivers are usually used to provide level shifts and other processing before PC interface. I don't have this kind of transceiver on my board, I only have a jumper to take my TX, RX, VDD (2.5V), and GND.

Is it really so that I need this tranciever device on my board? Is there a converter I can take and plug and play (jump my wires and connect to DB9 connector? Or do I need to take an IC and put something together?
    Thanks

2. Col

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2012
  3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Yes such a cable will do the job. Just rember one thing. You can get those cables in 3.3 or 5 volt versions. Remember to select the correct voltage for your system

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    You need some sort of conversion. Google "RS232 level shifter" and you will get many good choices.

Sparkfun sells one such board. It is a little pricey for my tastes but should be good for a debug environment. You can also just copy their posted schematic and build your own (today).