Uart comm to control ROV

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by thisisweak, Jun 1, 2009.

1. thisisweak

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Hello, I am on the electronics team building a submersible Remotely Operated Vehicle(ROV). I have accomplished using playstation 2 controller sticks to tell my PIC 16F877A the length of my software PWM for forward/reverse on 3 motors. (left, right, up/down)

Radio will not work underwater so I need wires...with the 3 motors and our arm(my next project) figure we might need as much as 20 control wires!

I am trying to split my program into 2 parts and have UART (or is it USART) communication to limit the ammount of wires...I am currently really confused and would appreciate any help.

I am using CCS pic compiler

files are attached...

thank you

matt

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If you place a PIC in the ROV, you will find that the cabling gets to be less - use something like I2C or some serial communications protocol.

3. thisisweak

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I am sorry...perhaps I did not explain well... yes one microcontroller will be at the controls...one microcontroller will be on the rov...I am having trouble getting the pic's communicating

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Look into a serial protocol - many PIC's support two or three serial I/F's.