typo?

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
ok, sorry, just thought that using full links was prohibited here, as it usually is prohibited in Russian forums, probably because we like to share some nice warezz :) OK will use full links now.

Last edited:

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/dc_p.html
Ideally, there will be no change whatsoever in the light bulb's brightness when the switch is closed, because voltage sources are supposed to maintain constant voltage output regardless of loading. As you might have supposed, though, the additional current "drawn" by the resistor when the switch is closed might actually cause the lamp to dim slightly, due to the battery voltage ßagging" under the additional load. If the battery is well oversized for the application, though, the degree of voltage ßag" will be inconsequential.

Yeah, it seems to be really everywhere where quotation symbols exist.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That may be the case. I noticed this line near the end of Question 26 in the link you posted -
Ö" symbolizes a possible öpen" fault, while "S" symbolizes a possible ßhorted" fault.
- the sentence is a bit hard to figure out.

At the end of the worksheet is this -
• O for an öpen" fault • S for an ßhort" fault • OK for no fault
Something seems to be generating umlauts, quotation marks, and the β symbol.

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
Question 5:

Calculate the voltage dropped by each of these resistors, given a battery voltage of 9 volts. The resistor color codes are as follows (assume 0% error on all resistor values):

R1 = Brn, Grn, Red, Gld
R2 = Yel, Vio, Org, Gld
R3 = Red, Grn, Red, Gld
R4 = Wht, Blk, Red, Gld

r4 = 9.02 ohm, right?
so I had voltage drops as following:

they add up to 9v, but the answer is -
First scenario: Second scenario:
ER1 = 0.225 volts ER1 = 0.45 volts
ER2 = 7.05 volts ER2 = 14.1 volts
ER3 = 0.375 volts ER3 = 0.75 volts
ER4 = 1.35 volts ER4 = 2.7 volts

So I am confused, is it my mistake, or a typo, or...?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There is no link to check. If the resistors are 5% -
R1 = Brn, Grn, Red, Gld
R2 = Yel, Vio, Org, Gld
R3 = Red, Grn, Red, Gld
R4 = Wht, Blk, Red, Gld
- then I read the codes as:
R1 = 1.5K
R2 = 47K
R3 = 2.5K (not a value in the standard table)
R4 = 9K (also not a standard value)

Those values give a current of 15 μA. So the drops are:
R1 = 225 mv
R2 = 7.05 V
R3 = 375 mv
R4 = 1.35 V

Total = 9 volts dropped.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A four band resistor is a 5% resistor (three value bands and one for the tolerance). The gold strip states the tolerance.

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
May be it is a good idea to state that in the question, because it is written
"assume 0% error on all resistor values"
And I thought that they were perfect resistor, so they didn't have the tolerance strip, so figured out as 3 value strips and the multiplier.
In my opinion the phrase about 0 per cent error creates some ambiguity, at least for me :(

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The intent was to let the resistors be perfectly accurate, as the answer comes out so easily that way. And, even with a 5% tolerance, any resistor measured may have the exact value stated.The tolerance simply means that the actual value has to be within +/- 5% of the stated value. It does not mean that the value must be off by that percentage.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You know, I'm not looking forward to collating all these little errors for Dennis.

Life sucks, then you die, then they throw dirt in your face, then the worms eat you. Pray it happens in that order.

Having said all that, thanks for the proofing skfir. Now if I can only figure out how to pronounce that.

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
But... I thought that you guyz wanted people to find out some little typos just in order to fix them, I have told you already that this book was the best I had seen and I just wanted to help a bit. If this typo remarks down your mood I can stop.

:) It is difficult to pronounce, something like that : СКФЫР

Life really sucks, agree more than absolutely.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We do, I was just kavitching. :D

And don't stop.

We've need someone to do this for a while, but it will have to be gathered and put in on post eventually.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I think the 'kf' is silent.
So its just 'Sir'. ;)

And, don't stop proofreading.

I can only imagine how much you are learning by reading the book so closely.

I think you are doing a good thing for the ebook and AAC.

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
OK dude :)
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/e_divide.html
question 13

Vmax = 3.85 volts
Vmin = 0.35 volts

but... 5*11000/(3000+11000)=3.9285714286 I am wrong at something?

No, kf are really pronounceable :) I know, it looks weird, but, hey.. it is Russian language. We have some worse - try to pronounce this: vsbzdnul. Yeah :)

Just this book is so interesting that I spend the whole day reading it. It is even more strange because I am a pianist by credo. You may visit my site by the way: www.cryofdolour.ru

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Actually, the question (#5) did -
Calculate the voltage dropped by each of these resistors, given a battery voltage of 9 volts. The resistor color codes are as follows (assume 0% error on all resistor values):

R1 = Brn, Grn, Red, Gld
R2 = Yel, Vio, Org, Gld
R3 = Red, Grn, Red, Gld
R4 = Wht, Blk, Red, Gld
Three color bands followed by a gold one are clearly 5% tolerance resistors. Some resistor charts are better than others. I may have seen two 6 band resistors in my life. If in doubt (real world) use an ohmmeter. The same bands on a tan phenolic body are hard to make out if painted on a dark blue body, as with some varieties of Japanese resistors.

The English have funny names, too. Try Featherstonehaugh or Taliaferro. We have Indian names to confuse the issue, like Chincoteague Island.