Type of chip / programmer to buy for step sequence?

circuitsnewt

Joined Oct 1, 2013
Hi
I would like to build a device that basically turns on 6 different coloured LED lights individually and in a set sequence, each step in the sequence needs to be advanced by a single push button switch.

What controller would I need for this?

Once complete I would like to add a timer (mm:ss, 00:00)

Button Push = LED 1 on, Timer starts
Button Push = LED 1 off, LED 2 on
Button Push = LED 1+2 Off, LED 3 on etc until
Button Push = LED 1-6 off, Timer stop

Many thanks for any help

circuitsnewt

Joined Oct 1, 2013
low budget - a cheap arduino or something like sounds interesting but not sure where to start for this project - I have basic electronics knowledge and VB excel programming and want to learn more about PIC's

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
As long as the Arduino unit has enough IO pins. I think using an Arduino will do the job. It work out of the box. Some learning curve must be allowed. But this will be same regardless of which system you select. The Arduino is not based on a PIC controller. But an AVR controller. But as your first kit to be used as an introduction. It has not much to say.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
You have mentioned both PIC and Arduino, there seems to be a lot of factional fighting over which is "best" but in practice for most hobbyist applications including yours either will do as long as you get a chip with enough pins to drive the 6 leds. You are going to have to learn to program for that specific MCU so choose I suggest you do a bit of research into PIC and Arduino, e.g. what is involved in programming the chip, what hardware/software do you need, what examples, libraries and community support is there. Find one that you like and go for it.

BTW there are other chips/platforms besides PIC/Arduino

circuitsnewt

Joined Oct 1, 2013
Thanks sounds good, I saw you posted a diagram - lots to learn.

I am eventually after a timer with 1 second resolution, but will be happy with getting the LEDS to step on and off in sequence for now.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Stepper in simple form. For 6 LEDs, move reset down to stage 7, pin 6 & drop top two LEDs. To control timer, use stage 0, pin 3 to inhibit timer clock, it is lhi at reset & goes lo at first count. Might want to add reset at power-up.

Attachments