Two's complement

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Good.

So now see if you have progressed enough to take a stab at the original question.

In a 6-bit two's complement representation, what is the bit pattern for the most negative value?

In a 6-bit two's complement representation, what is the bit pattern for the most positive value?

Once you have the bit patterns, then you can focus on converting them to decimal values.

thexy

Joined Dec 13, 2015
Good.

So now see if you have progressed enough to take a stab at the original question.

In a 6-bit two's complement representation, what is the bit pattern for the most negative value?

In a 6-bit two's complement representation, what is the bit pattern for the most positive value?

Once you have the bit patterns, then you can focus on converting them to decimal values.
Yeah, if first bit is 1 it's negative, if it is 0 it's positive. get it

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm assuming you got that point. But, with that knowledge and everything else you know about two's comp (which is improving), can you figure out what the entire six-bit pattern is for the most negative and most positive values?

Here's a hint: One of the big reasons that two's comp is so popular is that, given the bit pattern for any representable value, you can get the bit pattern for the value that is one more or one less, provided it is representable, using the exact same hardware that you would use for straight (i.e., unsigned) binary.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
If we have 6 Bit (2-komplement) and we need to find biggest and smallest number and wrote them in binar and dezcimal form. How to do it?

6 bit (Two's Complement) decimal -32, binary 111111 - that's for the biggest number
-33, binary 100001 - that's for the smallest number

Is this correct? If not can someone find my mistake.
"That's a mighty fine lookin' 2 there pardner!" ( Two's compliment.)

thexy

Joined Dec 13, 2015
I'm assuming you got that point. But, with that knowledge and everything else you know about two's comp (which is improving), can you figure out what the entire six-bit pattern is for the most negative and most positive values?

Here's a hint: One of the big reasons that two's comp is so popular is that, given the bit pattern for any representable value, you can get the bit pattern for the value that is one more or one less, provided it is representable, using the exact same hardware that you would use for straight (i.e., unsigned) binary.
I can't

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Let me rephrase.

The pattern 101010 represents some number. Call it X.

The goal is to determine what the pattern for X-1 would be (without needing to know what the value of X is)?

If it might help, start with a positive value, such as 010101, and determine what the pattern would be for the value that is 1 greater than this.