Two truths and a lie - thread

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
1. Attended a Freemasons meeting.
2. Witnessed a giant UFO flying over my head.
3. Have two high school diplomas.

1. Is a lie, I have never been at a meeting.I only visited their Lodge.

2. True, a triangle shaped UFO did fly over my head in 2000.

3. True,I have 2 diplomas.One is in electronics field and other in CAD field.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
#1 -- Please tell me that the work in question did not involve operation of a vehicle!:eek::eek::eek:
#2 -- Is too crazy to be false:D
#3 -- Is way too crazy to be true!:eek: --- Hence I'm calling #3 as the falsehood?
1 - A lie - My longest period was in fact 58 hours actively conducting the loading of a full vessel with project cargo. The very last hour consisted (here yes!) in driving home where I arrived, let us say, tired... Even nowadays I do not feel happy or proud of doing that. Just wondering how could I sustain the effort.

2 - Sí. Too crazy to be false.

3 - As a kid I had free access to the cinema in front of my home. I was fascinated by the movie and the music. By maybe the third or fourth day I knew by heart most of the dialog (titles, not the actual ones in English).

The climax was when in the middle of a generalized fire, the hero (Janssen) says something like this: "Hey Sheriff, I know how to drive these old machines" and climbing into the locomotive he brings the train full of people to safety at the other side of the valley. Nice technical detail: the (wooden) bridge also on fire, dutifully/politely collapses following the passage of the train, considerate enough to allow them reaching the other side.

Now while writing this, I recall there was a (continuity?) error. With Janssen in a car, one of the bad guys in the rear seat, (the actor later played "Riddler" for a Batman movie) manages to retrieve a gun. A shoot hits the windshield. Later in the sequence, the glass appears intact.

Three comments:

My tour de force happened some 50++ years ago! :eek: when going to school AM, working PM and studying in early night time. I even graduated 3rd in my class.
He was the first real villain I met in a movie (life of course, provided me better and more painful examples).
There is long time I do not go to movies and for more than 8 years I do not even watch TV. Go figure...:)

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
...and for more than 8 years I do not even watch TV. Go figure...:)
Let's see, your profile says you've been a member here for about 12 years. I guess it took a few years for the regulars finally give you enough entertainment here at AAC to fill your need for comedy and/or drama.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Let's see, your profile says you've been a member here for about 12 years. I guess it took a few years for the regulars finally give you enough entertainment here at AAC to fill your need for comedy and/or drama.
yeah, he hasn't missed a single chapter of "AAC: The Sitcom" ...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I prefer sitcoms as well. I hate the days when most of the channels here are filled with crappy dramas or bottom-of-the-barrel "experts" / "consultants" suitable for an interview on Fox News.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I hate the days when most of the channels here are filled with crappy dramas
So do I... why bother watching dramas? that's what real life is for ... idiotic, brain-melting sitcoms are what I prefer when I just want to disassociate myself from reality

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So do I... why bother watching dramas? that's what real life is for ... idiotic, brain-melting sitcoms are what I prefer when I just want to disassociate myself from reality
Even the sitcoms are getting too much drama. Can't any of those writers conger up some good situations - for example, a professor lost at sea uses coconut shells as beakers (and electrochemical cells) then recruits a farm girl, a movie star and a ship's mate to stir the contents of the coconut shells to recharge the batteries in a radio so they can hear a report from the Coast Guard that nobody was found on the island.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Even the sitcoms are getting too much drama. Can't any of those writers conger up some good situations - for example, a professor lost at sea uses coconut shells as beakers (and electrochemical cells) then recruits a farm girl, a movie star and a ship's mate to stir the contents of the coconut shells to recharge the batteries in a radio so they can hear a report from the Coast Guard that nobody was found on the island.
wow... what an original idea... the only thing missing from your proposal is a catchy song ... but I'm sure we can come up with something :D

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Yes GopherT. Filled my quota... but I learnt soon to not take drama here too seriously. People seem to forget things quite quickly.

Maybe one or two of relevance, when I was not sure about of whom people was talking about. Convoluted plots seem to be a problem... :( :)

Since I enjoy both sitcoms, with so many characters appearing in both, most of the time I am not sure which one I am watching. If I need to know what "channel", a crude way is to check this: one has a nice ebook, the other, chat room. :p

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Ok here's my three.

1/ Help drill for oil in the Libyan desert (pre-Mommar Khadaffi).
2/ Solo flown a plane
3/ Played at Woodstock with my buddies.
Max.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
--- Emphasis Added ---
That surprised me?:confused: What was the (inadvertent) clue, pray tell?:) (Genuinely interested)
The only thing that I would have to google to get some info on without having to actually stalk your whole internet footprint. As in the other statements would've required me to rummage through your history on the net to validate as true or false;)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
The only thing that I would have to google to get some info on without having to actually stalk your whole internet footprint. As in the other statements would've required me to rummage through your history on the net to validate as true or false;)
Aye yes! - I see what you mean! -- Guess I wasn't cut out to be a 'prevaricator':(:D -- Thus it seems you've the makings of a first rate detective!:cool::cool::cool:

Best regards
HP:)

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Necronomicon. Now that is a name that I've not heard in about 2 decades. Never read the whole thing myself but it ended up in my/our possession after a classmate of my ex girlfriend stole it from the library. The last time I heard of that copy it was at one of my oldest friends place and he read it front to back when he was about fifteen or sixteen years old. Which in a way is a bit funny since he has never been big on reading books. :)