Two Transistor

Saheli

Joined Jul 9, 2013
While going through 555timer circuits i came across this one. in this circuit 555timer is used as an astable multivibrator which is well understood, but i want to know the role of using two transistor pnp and npn here. what is its use? Can we not use only one transistor?

Attachments

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The two transistors form a High-Side switch to drive a high current grounded load. If pin 3 of the 555 is high, current will flow through R4 into the base of Q6, turning it on hard. That pulls down its collector, causing current to flow out of the base of Q5, turning it on hard.

Think of the two transistors as a hybrid NPN-PNP Darlington. The 555 alone is capable of sourcing ~200mA. With the added transistors, depending on how it is set up, this driver could source up to 10A.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What is the problem in using two transistors???
No problem. Using none, one or two depends on how much current the load requires (exceeds the intrinsic current sourcing/sinking rating of the 555) and if one end of the load is to be connected to ground or Vcc.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Can we not use only one transistor?
Changing to one transistor would make this a different circuit. If you want to use only one transistor, you have to change the circuit, and the ability to deliver current to the load will change.

Saheli

Joined Jul 9, 2013
Does that mean by using two transistors we are actually increasing the load current? i am thinking to use this in triggering of Marx circuit.

Saheli

Joined Jul 9, 2013
Changing to one transistor would make this a different circuit. If you want to use only one transistor, you have to change the circuit, and the ability to deliver current to the load will change.
Does that mean by using two transistors we are actually increasing the load current? i am thinking to use this in triggering of Marx circuit.