Two SPST relays in place of a DPST relay?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cherynk, Feb 3, 2016.

1. cherynk

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Are there any issues using two SPST relays instead of a DPST relay? I am running a 220 load through the relay and bought the wrong thing. A DPST is more expensive than two SPST so I figured Id just buy another SPST and run each leg through a separate SPST relay. The relay control is 12VDC. I would run these in parallel rather than in series, correct? There wouldn't be any issues with one relay connecting before the other, right?
    Thanks for your help.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Normally no problem, run in parallel.
    Max.

3. MrSoftware

Oct 29, 2013
    Your MTBF will be lower since you have double the mechanical parts (greater chance for failure), if that's a consideration.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    There "could" be..
    But if you are just using the relays to switch each side (Line/Neutral) then it won't matter..

Even double pole relays can have one pole that fails to switch while the other is just fine.. (VERY common on "low cost" relays... virtually non-existent on a quality relay like Omron)

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If 200v 1ph (L1&L2) as in N.Am. then you can switch both sides, if 220vac L1 & N then the N is not normally switched (or fused).
    Max.

6. eetech00

Jun 8, 2013
    You should consider the failure modes of your circuit. What if one relay energizes but the other doesn't? Not saying it's a problem but should be considered.