Two questions regarding PMTs

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
At ≈ $12k per pixel that makes for a rather 'dear' camera:eek:
HP it's a good thing camera isn't made that way after all cuz it would be worse than that! Cuz $12,000 apiece was cheapest I could get them for you from RSIs old stock! They said new stock is like $26,000 apiece! So if their not giving me _bill of goods_ you have them for less than half price:) Now I'm saying should I ask them about crystals when out their way next week? I'm sorry about no specs but three labeled wires should be no brainier even for you:p

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
HP it's a good thing camera isn't made that way after all cuz it would be worse than that! Cuz $12,000 apiece was cheapest I could get them for you from RSIs old stock! They said new stock is like $26,000 apiece! So if their not giving me _bill of goods_ you have them for less than half price:) Now I'm saying should I ask them about crystals when out their way next week? I'm sorry about no specs but three labeled wires should be no brainier even for you:p
Aleph!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: --- Please do not cite my business connections by name! -- In the first place it smacks of shilling/spam -- More to the point they won't thank me for an army of bargain-hunting hobbyists beating down their doors!:rolleyes: And please don't give me any cr__p to the effect that they won't blame me! You frequently act as my 'agent' AND I introduced you to them! --- Granted! In this case, owing to their three-letter moniker, I doubt much 'damage' was done - even so, please be more careful in future! --- My status as a "non-corporate customer" is as enviable as it is fragile! -- I'll thank you not to ruin it for me - as you've almost done elsewhere!!!:mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

With regards
HP

PS

To be clear: To my knowledge the behaviour described above (to wit: "bargain-hunting hobbyists beating down their doors!") Is non-applicable to anyone I have observed or interacted with on these fora --- still... there be lurkers!:eek::eek::)

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Inasmuch as my 'sources' are Coolidge tubes, placing same inside the container is not an option;) -- That said - I'll be happy to irradiate the latter!:cool: FWIW; I neither store nor use (licensable) radioisotope/radionuclide sources in my home labs (owing to myriad safety, legal, and liability concerns --- to say nothing of something remotely akin to iophobia:eek::oops:) -- That said, I have a few 'red' (actually orange) Fiestaware platters 'kicking around':D

So -- as regards the proposed experiment -- a few questions please:

Roughly speaking:
-What is the optimal excitation spectra range (i.e. the PE or λ range to which PEN exhibits greatest 'sensitivity')?
-Where is the scintillation spectra range?
-Is the PEN layer applied to both walls of the container? -- If no - which wall is coated/layered?

Additionally:
Is the presence of PEN in such containers reflected by the RIC code?

Very best regards
HP:)
PEN has emissions in the blue visible range (lambda max = 425nm).

It is proving to be more efficient (greater quantum yield) than most polymer targets designed for this purpose. Poor Saint Gobain Polymers is nearly shutting down their polymer scintillation target business since it was discovered that simple PEN has a higher quantum yield than their best target material.

I was searching about PEn being the inner or outer layer of beer bottles. No info but it am guessing the middle of three (or more) layers. Who would have imagined a soda bottle is so complicated?

Anyhow, the beer bottles I was able to confirm are only available in amber bottles so no blue will transmit anyhow failed experiment design! Fail fast! Cheers and thanks for your interest.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Saint Gobain Polymers is nearly shutting down their polymer scintillation target business
I thought their business was (thermal) structure insulation?:confused: -- 'Tis indeed the age of diversification!:D

Just for fun, I can 'sand' (i.e. finely divide/grind) 'likely' containers then irradiate the resultant powder (with the assumption that 'unfiltered' PEN will occupy surfaces of some of the dust particles.) Assuming a PE of 100keV and a 'dose rate' of up to 5000Gy/s, might I reasonably expect visually observable manifestations of scintillation/fluorescence?

Very Best Regards
HP:)

PS

By way of clarification: While the Gray (Gy) is 'classically' defined as: "the absorption of one Joule per kilogram of matter" -- such is a bit misleading inasmuch as the properties of the matter in question are taken to be those of human tissue -- Hence, as a practical matter, for non-health purposes, the Gray is best understood to be such exposure as registers 1Gy on a radiological survey dosimeter (the concept of 'dose', hence, being lost) -- Granted! It's as inelegant (to say the least) as it gets - but there it is:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Aleph!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: --- Please do not cite my business connections by name! -- In the first place it smacks of shilling/spam -- More to the point they won't thank me for an army of bargain-hunting hobbyists beating down their doors!:rolleyes:
HP I thought it was alright Cuz you mentioned them in post about ionization chamber?
Anyhow they said they don't have the crystals but in the pics they look 7cm thick! WTF?

Last edited: