Two connectors instead of one, is it safe?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by upinsmoke, Jun 27, 2014.

1. upinsmoke

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Hello!

Using a PID Temperature controller to heat a coil, I use a XLR connector to connect my heater to the PID controller, could I just wire the XLR wires to split using connectors to controller/heat two XLR connectors which hook up to two different coil heaters? I already am doing this but wondering if it's safe or practical? Would there be an easier way or better way? Thanks so much!

Any help would be appreciated!

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Not sure I understand your question..
    Are you simply wanting to split the wires across 2 xlr connectors instead of 1. If so sure its fine.. if one can do it 2 obviously can.

With connectors you basically just want to ensure that each pin is rated to carry the current and voltage you are passing through it.

For a "concentrate/dab" heater I'd guess.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    upinsmoke likes this.
  3. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Is this a low voltage or a line voltage heater. XLR connectors are generally intended for audio circuits...like microphones. I suppose that Phantom Power circuits could go up the 48VDC.

Ken

upinsmoke likes this.
  4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    +1 agreement.

XLR connectors are NOT rated for high voltages!

When people talk about "heaters" there is a high probablility it is a heater driven from AC mains. That would be most unsafe! :eek:

upinsmoke likes this.
  5. upinsmoke

Jun 27, 2014
    Would you call this project high voltage?

http://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisExtracts/comments/1kczbg/diy_enail_howto/

so the whole project is unsafe? or just the extra XLR connector?

Thanks so much guys! Really appreciate the help!

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    The 5 pin female panel mount xlr connector is only rated to 50V..
    As such thats "technically" not considered safe as you are passing 120V through it which is above its rating.

The rest of the components are rated for the voltages with the exception of the XLR connectors.

If you wanted to be "safe" you would chop off the XLR connectors and find another suitable connector for both the hot runner heater and the connection at the project box.

upinsmoke likes this.
  7. upinsmoke

Jun 27, 2014
    Any recommendations for connectors? I Have a bunch of friends with these and they have them on all the time, people even sell them, so the XLR isn't safe for sure?

8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    so.. this is how it works.. XLR connectors are primarily designed for audio applications.. Which is basically limited to 50V or less. So manufacturers of those connectors are only required to and only need to test and be rated to 50V..
    But does that mean they won't work with higher voltages?.. not necessarily.

As I design electrical products for a living my definition of "safe" is would UL (or other safety certification bodies) approve its use in the intended application.. And the answer is NO they would NOT..

But those connectors can also handle 1000V+ dielectric testing so they can pass higher voltages without issues.. But that still does not make them "safe" for your application..
    But as you already said.. you have experienced many users with no problems..

There are many products/components like that in the world.. Manufacturers only need to test to the standards and testing above and beyond would only cost them more money so there is no point but many would be just fine..

and obviously the Chinese don't care about safety and aren't required to carry any safety approvals as they sell that crap with XLR connectors

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    upinsmoke likes this.
  9. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Connectors rated for 120v (especially at "heater" currents) have wire terminations that include a LOT of space around, in case a wire has a frayed strand or some moisture, or a tiny insect crawls inside etc. They also have fully insulated housings and usually have solid plastic separators between conductors and terminations, not just airspace between conductors.

There are so many good reasons that XLR connectors are NOT safe for 120v power use, even though people might have used them without dying (yet!).

upinsmoke likes this.
  10. upinsmoke

Jun 27, 2014
    Any recommendations for 120v 5 pin connectors that would work with this application?

11. upinsmoke

Jun 27, 2014
    BUMP! Thanks for the help already however guys, would really love to know a 120v connector that would work in this application!

12. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Many mains powered appliances use these type of molex connector for the mains wires;

[​IMG]

Note all metal parts are fully surrounded by plastic. They should be safe for mains if rated for "120v AC" but still may NOT be rated for safe by finger handling. People's fingers might be wet or have sticky contaminants etc.