two buttons

stilllearning

Joined Dec 9, 2013
Hello I have a timer with two terminals On the back , when the terminals are joined and released it starts a timer, when you join them again it stops the timer. I can do all of this with one momentary push button , but can anyone think of a way to usee two buttons one to start and another to stop, but the sequence is start,stop,start,stop etc. I think a latching relay may work but I am not experienced enough to be sure, 12v dc system and suggestions welcomed
Thanks

stilllearning

Joined Dec 9, 2013
Hello, thanks for the reply, I have no diagrams just the timer that I have powered up then run a wire from the two terminals in need to bridge through a push button then back to the other terminal and that's when I thought of the two switches, sorry if this is not enough Info

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Drawing the block of your wired, including the power and wiring of start/stop, and testing the flowing status.
1. Two wires joined -
2. Two wires released -
3. Two wires joined -
4. Two wires released -

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you just want 2 buttons one labeled for stop and one labeled for start just put the 2 buttons in parallel..

Never heard of someone actually wanting to increase the number of buttons to perform such a simple function.

stilllearning

Joined Dec 9, 2013
Managed to get this working with a latching relay, the controller had the option to start timing when the inputs were bridged or when the inputs were bridged then released. So the latching relay keeps the input closed until the stop button resets it, thanks for reading