TV signal inteference from my rainbow led project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Dead Crow, May 8, 2015.

1. Dead Crow

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Hi I have a project i made to cycle a rainbow led.
    I used a transformer with a bridge rectifier and a smoothing capacitor to create the DC for the project.
    However my tv is plugged into the same plug circuit and on a certain channel when my project is turned on that tv channel has bad picture literally going complete snowy often.
    Could i use a resistor and capacitor combination on the 230 vac side of the transformer to cancel out what i think is a certain magnetic frequency which is messing with the aerial signal? Or am i heading in the wrong
    direction?
    Thanks for the help guys, don't know what i would do without you people on this forum

2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    What have you done to ensure it's originating from your circuit and it is distributed via the mains?

Have you connected the circuit to a different outlet, via extension cord, so the physical distance to the television is approximately the same to ensure the signal stops interfering?

3. Dead Crow

Mar 6, 2010
    Hi Joe
    I tried an extension lead from otherside of the house off another plug circuit. One channel sabc 2 , gets heavy interference, its not too good to begin with but when my circuit board and transformer are plugged in every ten seconds or so the snowy picture breaks and often makes a nasty sound. Its a pity cause my rainbow LED jars look cool in the tree :) Maybe i need to check for water damage or something but if there is a resistor capacitor suppressor I can try that would be good.

4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Would you please post the circuit of your rainbow jars? There is a chance that those circuits are what are causing the problem, and maybe that is where the problem should be corrected.

Additionally, have you tried disconnecting one jar at a time to see if the problem originates in one specific jar or some specific jars?

5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Sabc2, South Africa, do you have digital tv or are you on analogue still, it sounds like co channel interference,probably radiated RF from your circuit beating with the tuner.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The terrestial television seems to be analog for now, but will switch to digital soon:
    http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/SABC/dtt/

With analog reception of a television signal, the digital pulses going to the leds might disturb the reception.
    Do you use shielded cables for the led boxes?

Bertus

7. Dead Crow

Mar 6, 2010
    no i used cheap cat5 cable haha mmm so maybe i should make an earth cage or something around the box..... We have digital tv but i cant afford it so i usually watch online, its my parents tv next door which gets interfered with.
    I am a qualified electrician and do things by the book...but sometimes for myself i take shortcuts provided its safe.
    So any ideas? Thanks for the replies guys.. and nice one Dodgy Dave Im a liverppool supporter too

Dodgydave likes this.
  8. Dead Crow

Mar 6, 2010
    Hi Dick Cappels I missed your post somehow,
    http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2002/08/28/rainbow_led/1
    is the circuit I built. I have not yet tried disconnecting them one by one, I suppose I had my head stuck in the idea of building a suppressor circuit but i should probably check the obvious things first :) will do and will get back to you

9. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008