TV remote sensor in the TARDIS

gruebane

Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hello
I would like to switch a flashlight type (6-12v - a low wattage 110v would be acceptable if easier) incandescent bulb on/off with a generic tv remote control. I have searched through the forums here and found stuff about matching wavelengths, will I have to build my own remote with a matching emitter? I aLso see some stuff about 'up to a 50cm range' - ideally I would like up to 5 meters, as I would get with a television ?
Can anyone point me to some pretty simple circuitry for such a project ?

many thanks in advance !

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Perhaps a kit like this would work for you. It has a "learn mode" function so may be able to learn to recognize a code from your remote, but it probably will only respond to one of the Velleman remotes.

Felo

Joined Feb 20, 2012
Hi,

Someone gave me a job one time that consisted in reverse engineer that same velleman 2 channel IR transmitter - receiver I could post the entire project if there is enough interest and likes of DIY ways of living....hehehe

Good Luck

ElectroDFW

Joined Sep 2, 2011
Not to get too off topic, but I always wanted to roll my own remote control blinds.

Just a little module with a battery, sensor, circuitry and gearmotor that hooks into where the rod that turns the blinds open or closed.

My first step would have been manual control with fwd/rev buttons, but then I'd work on integrating wireless IR control. Preferably with any learning remote, but if it needed to be something like the Vell, I'd not mind. Problem would be finding cheap premade or easy to make individually tuned, long-range receivers.

Food for thought.
--Electro--
aka The Other David