TV Recommendations

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
If you guys were going to buy a brand spanking, new TV, nowadays; what kind would you buy?

I've been thinking about the LED TVs.....;)

It will be replacing a 7 year old, DLP Samsung, 61 inch.

Any suggestions, of the good and bad TVs maybe?

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
if it was me id buy any decent looking crt set you could find -lcds or plasmas are not built to the same standard as a crt set and have a life of some 2-3 years from new as opposed to 25-30 years from new before a failure and when in need of repair can be reliably and quickly repaired down to component level.plus they will never match a display on a decent working crt for picture quality-lcd or plasma depending on the fault when they do pack up are either generally board replacement if its not easily repairable..which can and does cost as much as the set to buy it from new.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have had my Samsung LCD for about 10yrs now, If I was looking for new now, I would ensure it has a WEB streamer interface, mine has one but back then it was limited to just a couple of useless sites.
I would stick with Samsung, they seem to be a forward looking Co.?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
All true, but I still have a 12 year old CRT TV that, so far, only needed a resolder on its video driver chip. If it would just really, really break, I would buy something that lasts 4 to 7 years. Unfortunately, this is the second CRT television I have bought in my life and it may be a bit of a wait.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
All true, but I still have a 12 year old CRT TV that, so far, only needed a resolder on its video driver chip. If it would just really, really break, I would buy something that lasts 4 to 7 years. Unfortunately, this is the second CRT television I have bought in my life and it may be a bit of a wait.

When I purchased my Mitsubishi 32" I paid 10 bucks an Inch.

My 4yr old Samsung 42", I paid $420, I replaced a 27" CRT, I had in the bedroom. I told my wife if we can't buy it for the same dollar as the 32" Mitsubishi.

I'm not doing it.

Best I'm told is Panasonic, and Sony. You'll pay for it though. Same as in the old day's.

Now at work I build, Professional at the University. We have bought some pretty good Sharps 52" that are not commercial grade. Their about 5 yrs old now.

The Samsung is a trick bag. But, I new I could repair the power supply and if I can get another 4yrs out of it. I'm ok, I'll just chuck it and buy a new one.

Regards,
kv

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have always wanted a projector. I had a friend in the 6th grade who was a little rich snob, and he had a projector, in his theater room. I was apparently "cool" enough at least once, to be invited over and watch his favorite movie on it. Since then, I've always wanted a projector. Not to act like a prince about it and rub it in people's faces, but it's just like some sort of silly goal that I set for myself. I just checked that off the list last month. Actually I haven't even had anybody over to watch mine since I got it.

Most people don't even consider a projector when they go TV shopping; "LED, LCD, Plasma, CRT" is all you hear people talk about. It's hard to find a respectable "TV expert" who will include the projector in his inaccurate & biased "side by side" comparison of "all" the types of TVs available.

I think the main reason is that everybody is convinced that the picture quality with a projector sucks, and I have a few theories about why:
1. People buy the wrong kind of projector. They buy the cheapest thing they can find, which the one at Office Depot or Staples, a presentation projector, meant for showing powerpoint presentations, not movies.
2. People don't project on the right surfaces. A textured off-white wall is not going to give you a good picture. Nor is a bed sheet, or a garage door. Not even a flat bright white wall is ideal. There are certain properties which a projector screen must have, in order to reflect the image back with the intended clarity and range of color. This is why projector screens cost so much (science). Which leads me to point #...
3. The actual projector screens (made of proper projector screen material) which are commonly available, only go up to ~110" before the price starts going up exponentially, all the way to ludicrous^2. And there's not a whole lot of point to justify the projector if the screen is so "small."

When I bought my projector, I wanted to project it on a BIG screen. My wife insisted that if we get a projector, it must be retractable, as she doesn't want to give up a whole wall for perpetual bleak whiteness. Retractable screens in the dimensions that I wanted cost about $3,800, which is ~ 6X as much as I paid for the projector. No way I was paying that much. So I decided to build my own. I was able to get a seamless 110"X200" piece of projector screen material on ebay for ~$75. I bought an RF controlled relay module with a little remote and some sensors and pipes; I had a gearmotor and power supply already. It's still a work in progress, but I've got everything I need to finish it (except time), and I'm only out about $200. I'm able to watch TV on it, but when I want to retract it, I have to hold the wires to the motor ;).

So I got an 8'X12' TV for ~$850, which is at the extreme low end of the bell curve for a 60" TV if you're looking to stay around the same size or larger. I think the picture looks awesome, but I might be biased. It definitely looks better than my old (2004) 50" RCA rear projection TV. Of course it's not going to be quite as good as a Sony 4K, but who wants to see the stretch marks in skin flicks anyway?

If you're interested in projectors at all, check out the one I linked to. I did a lot of consumer research, and that projector is the best thing you'll find for the price. Lots of consumer reviews, overwhelming positive.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Try to avoid plasmas. They tend to overheat and burn out quickly. LED TVs are great, but the viewing angle isn't always very good. Regular LCD TVs are decent if you want a wider viewing angle, but LED TVs are the best, provided you don't mind sitting almost head-on.

As for brands, RCA is great, as is Magnavox and Sony. I've heard mixed reports for Samsung, Vizio, and Coby. I bought a Seiki LED TV about a year ago and have had to repair it at least twice already, so I don't recommend them so much. I believe Insignia still makes good TVs, but I can't be sure.

These reviews are all based on my own experience, and the experiences of dozens of people I've spoken with. It's what I get for working at Kmart as an electronics sales associate for 2 years :p

Good luck!
Matt

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I have had my Samsung LCD for about 10yrs now, If I was looking for new now, I would ensure it has a WEB streamer interface, mine has one but back then it was limited to just a couple of useless sites.
I would stick with Samsung, they seem to be a forward looking Co.?
Max.

For several days, I've been eyeballing this guy:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8433470&CatId=4717

And this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7890723&CatId=5990

Leaning more for the last one.;)