TV PSU Mod help needed

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
Also Tcon board maybe? I would rather like to narrow down the failed part before buy each board till it works ... the power supply was the orginaly problem .. and im assuming that something i did or that happened during the other power supply modding might have done something. but a procedural approach to diagnosing this tv issue would be greatly appreciated as I'm a PC consultant and TV's are more of a side thing as i don't have a lot of experience with theh newer tvs but can follow instructions..

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
also I have replaced my meters fuse... power is reaching the entire control box. seems there is a safety feature blocking the tv from going into the standby state so i can send the PWON to turn on the tv. So to recap I plug in the 120V AC and the back-light turns on .. but stays lit the LED indicators on the front don't light no red/green/blue nothing. I have checks all of the things in the service manuals flow chart up to the Check IR/LED control board (J1,U1,D1)as I'm not sure where its at. or even how I would go about checking it. I have examined the Tcon board for scorches or flash burns it appearers to be fine.

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
Is it possible the firmwares corrupted? or the original power supply when it shorted and fried did damage to the control board or Tcon boards chips? As I thought when a power supply shorts or blows it where ever the short was the damage stops there. or am I horribly mistaken?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OP is way over his head retched..

First problem, he is trying to use the Inverter +B to supply his Standby.
The 24V does not switch on without the Standby.....

Besides, the 24V line should never be used for any other purpose, it is separate for a reason.

The fix is quite simple, but for me to tackle the problem is not right now. May be tomorrow.

OP...gimme a few hours. I'll get you to fix it if there isn't a major problem and if you can follow my guidelines.

Blacksypher

Joined Apr 29, 2011
Well the 24v is connected to the right one . same with the 12V but I'm curious should I use the 5V line or the 5VSB (Currently using the 5VSB)? i'll wait for your fix first .. just wanted to give ya my current wring configuration from the PSU to the Scaler board. Also ty you both for all the help so far... im alot better off than I was before .. At least it turns on ... well kinda =P

too be more specific I drew a diagram of the connectors pin assignments and everything is back to its original wire configuration (just had to re-seat the wires in the connector. I didn't touch the scaler board or tuner boards connectors just the power supplies.
But yeah im good at following instructions I'm worried that the other psu i used may have damaged the scaler board hence why i have no LED but I do have the backlights constantly on(as the backlight gets its power directly from the PSU)but power isn't reaching the side controls or LED cuz there is a short in the scaler board... just thinking out loud.
not sure what you mean by trying to use the inverter +b as I didn't rewire anything with this brand new power supply.

the back light is getting its power from the orginal connector (CON4) and (CON5) is setup as follows:

Power unit to Control board Connector

24V-Red------------------Control board main plug

GND-Black-----------------" "

GND-X

12V-Red------------------Single pin on control board

5V-X

5VSB-TAN(yellow)-----------------2-Prong(4pin connector 2-pins removed))(O**D) O=for a wire that is just there no connection(seems its just there to short the pin) D = wire to 5VSB on PSU

STB-Blue-----------------Control board main Plug

X = Not used
*= no pin

I put tan cuz thats the color it is now.
also to be clear im no longer trying to mod the other power supply unit I bought the correct one for my board. so out of box it should have worked. But i'm still willing to try your solution just wanted you to have the facts for my current situation as they are different than my Original post.

Last edited: