TV Problem

faniemajozi

Joined Aug 4, 2005
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could help me with this TV problem.
I have a Panasonic TV SX4 and on Friday we had a power failure.
When the power switched back on the color of my TV was all distorted (like when you put a magnet too close too the screen.
Only problem is there was no magnetic object like a speaker nearby.
My TV rests on a TV arm object.

Do you think I can solve the problem by putting a magnet near the screen and getting it right or would that totally mess up my set.

I should probably take it to the repair man, but they usually overcharge!

So I was hoping I could ask you guys first.

Cheers
Fanie

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
You need to degauss the tv set. Most sets have built-in degaussing coils that work everytime the sets are turned on. But it is might not be enough if the magnetic field affecting the mask is too strong or the coil might be defective.

Try leaving the set off for a while, about an hour or so to let the thermistor cools down, and then turn the set on. If it doesn't help you might try to check if the thermistor is defective or any other problems with the built-in coil.

If the built-in coil is fine, then you might need a stronger magnetic field. You can buy a degaussing coil. It is not that expensive. Or you can make one yourself. You need plenty of turns with 22 gauge insulated copper wire, about 20 inches diameter. I never counted how many turns needed, but enough so that it is about the size of your thumb. A bucket would make a good core. Wound it up tightly and then wrap it around with insulation tape. Connect it to a fused plug.

To degauss the set, put the coil about 2 inches in front of the screen and plug in the coil. Move the coil around slowly in circle while moving away from the screen, also slowly. When the coil is about 25 inches away from the screen slide it to the side and turn it off. If the set is turned on you can see the effect while you degauss it and judge the speed and distance yourself.

faniemajozi

Joined Aug 4, 2005
Hi n9352527,

Thanks for your reply. When I first read it I was like - "WHOA I'm only a first year EE student: go easy!! Then I decided to rise to the challenge and find out as much about degaussing as I possibly could. And right now I feel pretty clued up about the whole business. Wow Physics is fun!

Anyways, I only go back home on the weekend and then will use your advice and my new found knowledge to see if I can fix the problem.

Thanks for initiating this wonderful project!

Φ = Q/ ε0 (Gauss's Law)

Cheers
Fanie