TV problem

Thomas.R

Joined Aug 16, 2007
Hallo,

When i told that I follow electronics in evening classes the whole family taught, lets bring our broken stuff to him, he will fix it :confused:.
Now I have a broken television. When i push the power button there is power and i hear a sound from the speakers but there is absolutely no image.
I opened the box and checked for burnt parts as the owner told me he smelled something burnt. As i am not familiar with tv's i didn't poke to much in it with my multimeter, because i don't really know where the high voltage parts are.

could somebody give me some pointers?

Thomas

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When the TVset is switched on do you feel the tube "spin"? (static voltage)
If there is no picture at all, the change is great that somting in the highvoltage part is broken.

You could try to retrieve the manual over here.
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/
With a schematic you can search more secure.

Greetings,
Bertus

Thomas.R

Joined Aug 16, 2007
I don't know if it spins but i do hear a light whistling that comes from the tv.
Should you see a filament burning i the cath ray .. because there isn't with me or am i seeing this wrong?
There is a single insulated copper cable that is wrapped round the TV and is connected to the powersupply , when i try to measure that point there is strange sound and i don't get any reading?

Thomas

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The insulated copper wire is probably the demagnatisation coil.
The high-voltage is connected to the CRT with a rubber plug.
The high-voltage may be 10 kVolt at a black and white tv.
The high-voltage may be upto 30 kVolt at a color TV.

Greetings,
Bertus

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I suggest that you take the set down to a TV repair shop. You can get a lethal jolt from the HV section if you do something improper. It's too hard to explain everything properly via the Internet.

If the set is more than about 7 years old, it's likely at the end of it's service life.