tv problem, found a component fried...

omgtofu

Joined Jan 16, 2009
hey, new here... i have a sony rear projection tv(model kp-53S65) that crapped out recently. i inspected the board inside and found this

im not sure if thats a disc capacitor or a varistor? the only markings still visible on it are "2KV" next line, "(M 82"

i was hoping someone could identify the component... maybe direct me to where i could purchase one. and if possible, a link to a service manual for this tv or a root cause for why that component would fail...

i hope im not asking for too much.:(
i have a few more pics. the board where the component was and the numbers on the board labeling the solder points and the component.

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
It looks like more to a varistor, go to an electronic parts shop and if they can identify it they will you another.The problem is not the bad component but what caused the component to fail.

omgtofu

Joined Jan 16, 2009
ya in the past hour now i have found people with the same exact problem. everyone is saying this one is a capacitor and that most likely the power supply is the faulty circuit that caused this component to fail. i just cant find a service manual for this tv to get the part number. dont want to pay 20 dollars for it :/

omgtofu

Joined Jan 16, 2009

someone mentioned to turn on the set and record diagnostic blinks of the 'power' light and reference that in the service manual. im going to put it all back together and do that right now to see what codes it gives me. still dont have a manual though.

and also the part number for the capacitor, but i still need the service manual to find out what part number board i have in the tv.:mad:

"IF you have the G BOARD part #A-1316-367-A it's:
1-162-133-00 CERAMIC 390PF 10% 2KV

IF you have the G BOARD part #A-1316-422-A it's:
1-161-754-00 CERAMIC 0.001MF 10% 2KV"

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
It is a capacitor because of the C515 label. EY33 and EY34 labels seem to be the pad (hole number) where the component is soldered.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Look the entire board over very carefully. Usually, more than just one part gets taken out when a cap gets blown like that.

A couple of years ago, our big-screen Zenith TV suddenly died. I found a blown cap just like yours, in a similar location. That wasn't the only problem though; a Zener diode and a resistor halfway across the board were also toasted.

Follow the traces on the board both ways from your blown cap, and examine each component on the other side very carefully.

omgtofu

Joined Jan 16, 2009
like i said, someone mentioned the power supply may be faulty and causing this...
pretty much this whole corner of the board is PSU components correct? is there one major component out of these that would most likely be the cause?

omgtofu

Joined Jan 16, 2009
Look the entire board over very carefully. Usually, more than just one part gets taken out when a cap gets blown like that.

A couple of years ago, our big-screen Zenith TV suddenly died. I found a blown cap just like yours, in a similar location. That wasn't the only problem though; a Zener diode and a resistor halfway across the board were also toasted.

Follow the traces on the board both ways from your blown cap, and examine each component on the other side very carefully.
i initially spent a good amount of time combing it over, but i will do so once more. thanks.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Do you have sound,If the curcuit Is open you may have sound.The curcuit
breaker may work if you have open curcuit,no picture.The part looks like It
Is near high voltage curcuit.(Be careful) You can have sound and no picture,process of elimination. Tpye the serial number into sony,you may
get some diagram help. Take It slow,try to draw a diagram of parts
connected,the guys can tell you how to test parts,if you know how to
test.Getting parts Is almost impossible,but you might as well learn what
you can. You can post pictures you are way ahead of a lot of people..

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Why is the component mounted on the copper side, unlike other components?

What is the fault on the component? Short circuited?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Is that resistor touching the heat sink? Hard to tell from the picture, but it sure looks like it in post #11.

omgtofu

Joined Jan 16, 2009
Do you have sound,If the curcuit Is open you may have sound.The curcuit
breaker may work if you have open curcuit,no picture.The part looks like It
Is near high voltage curcuit.(Be careful) You can have sound and no picture,process of elimination. Tpye the serial number into sony,you may
get some diagram help. Take It slow,try to draw a diagram of parts
connected,the guys can tell you how to test parts,if you know how to
test.Getting parts Is almost impossible,but you might as well learn what
you can. You can post pictures you are way ahead of a lot of people..
when the set died in the midst of watching it, everything cut out. now when you turn it back on you get no picture and no sound.