TV Current Sensing Circuit to Operate DC Motor

mrbfaust

Joined Jun 14, 2009
I started here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=9850

My goal is to have a picture that hangs over my wall-mounted television such that when the TV is powered on, the current activates an auxiliary (probably DC) circuit that operates a motor or an actuator to move the picture out of the way, and when the TV is powered off, the circuit flips polarity and returns the picture.

Couple things here:
- I'm not worried about the mechanical side of this - just the circuit.
- DC motors are much cheaper than actuators, but I need some sort of limit switch capability as well
- My knowledge of electronics if minimal, and if purchasing parts to do the bulk of this is possible for cheap enough, I'd prefer that...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Make a very low resistance relay and place it in series with your TV power cord.

---------------------------------------nnnnnn---------------------------------TV
120VAC
outlet
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TV

nnnnn = relay coil with thick enough winding wire to insert about 1 Ohm if possible and weak contacts spring that allows changing state easily with little magnetic force.

You can actuate whatever with the sets of contacts.

Miguel

Propaganda

Joined Jun 3, 2009
Externet, is it the intention to have the relay hard spliced into the AC power cord or to have the relay's coil as a "Current Sense Transformer" and the relay actuates when there is enough energy flowing through the AC power cord to create a flux.