turning firearms target

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by rick b, Apr 25, 2012.

1. rick b

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    First of all let me start out by saying that I am new to this forum. I have just acquired a set of turning firearms targets from a friend that run off a 12 volt battery. The targets work fine as far as functioning properly. However I need them to operate faster. They currently have a 12 volt Dayton motor model# 4Z837. The RPM rating on the motor is 17. I would really like to stay with the same set up as far as the targets are concerned as they have limiter switches in order to stop the turning and have built in reversers to change the polarity. I am looking for ways to speed up the revoloution whether it be changing the motor or some other way. Any suggestions would be great.

2. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    If the targets are turning at 17 rpm, that means they are making a 90° turn in about .88 seconds. Is that correct and how fast do you need them to make the 90° turn?

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Are you asking for an electrical solution? I'm not optimistic about that. Maybe a mechanical solution, a lever arm or something? A solenoid instead of a motor might make sense.

4. rick b

Apr 25, 2012
    It does not seem to turn at that pace it takes approximatley 1.75 seconds to turn 90 degrees. I would like to cut the time in half.

5. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    According to the Grainger web site, the motor is a gearmotor with a 12 rpm rating. Using 12 rpm, puts the time for a 90° turn at 1.25 seconds, assuming the target frame is turning at the same rate as the output shaft on the gearmotor. Is that the way it is constructed, or is there a chain, belt, or gear between the shaft of the gearmotor and the target frame? Is this a home-built system or commercial? If commercial, what is the brand name and model number?

6. rick b

Apr 25, 2012
    This ia commercially produced unit however the name of the unit and all model number info has been painted over. As far as the motor to rotating shaft is concerned there is a small gearbox. I have not taken the gearbox apart. I was just wondering if I was able to find another motor that mounted the same way with a higher rpm if this would rotate the turning shaft at a higher rate or not?

7. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    The odds of finding a faster (swap out-bolt up) replacement motor aren't good.

8. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Wow! Those are expensive at $14,000 per horsepower!
    I wish it was easier, but changing gears on a gearmotor is something I have never accomplished.

10. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007