Turning a a 100 micro-LED string light into two separate strings

Maybe_Alpaca

Joined Aug 10, 2016
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 100 micro-LED string light (product linked below) for use in an artistic/decorative project. However, the project changed a bit and now I need two separate 50 LED strings, though I still need them to be powered through wall outlets (they will remain turned on for long periods of time, and need to be set up in not-very-accessible places but can be controlled with switches).

The product:
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-W...6219&sr=8-2&keywords=taotronics+string+lights

I have a basic understanding of electronics. My current plan is to buy two AC to DC power adapters, hook them up to voltage regulators (and capacitors to make the circuit more stable?), add necessary resistors, split the 100-LED string into two parts and attach those appropriately. Also, I was planning to include potentiometers as dimmers for the lights. Some sort of wireless dimmer would be ideal in case the intensity needs to be adjusted after installation, but I think that's a bit out of reach for my electronics skill level.

Now, calculating the needed voltage/resistance/current has proved confusing both because I'm a noob and because I couldn't find the specs on these tiny LEDs. Also, the wiring is a bit confusing, there are three strands of wire despite all LEDs seeming to be wired in parallel; though I think I can sort the wiring out by carefully untangling the strands.

The string as a whole comes with the following details on its specs:

-100 individual LEDs
-Input: 110 V ; Output: 4.5 V
-current: 1A
-power: 5 W

Any advice on how to proceed? Specifics for solving this are greatly appreciated but I am definitely open to suggestions about material I can read and projects I can look at to better understand electronics and build the solution myself.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If indeed they are in parallel, you should be ok cutting it up, there will just be less load on the PSU.
They are so cheap, just buy more units for the power supplies, don't bother trying to find or build another 4.5V supply, it will not be worth the effort.

thisguy1

Joined Aug 18, 2016
Some companies will allow you to buy the length you need, But most will be in DC voltage. To get away using that you can go to the thrift store and buy power supplies to wire them up or use portable batteries