Turn momentary into toggle, use flip flop?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by NotVerySmart, Mar 20, 2011.

1. NotVerySmart

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I want to take the momentary circuit closure from a button switch and have it operate a toggle circuit. Press the button for on, press again for off. I've sort of looked into flip flops, is that the right way, or should I look into ICs? Also I would like it to start out in the off position if possible. Could somebody please explain how I could do this, obviously im not a pro, so make it simple:p

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Yes Flip-Flop can do it.... if you put both the inputs J and K to 1 (high) the outputs toggles when it is clocked.....for example something like this...
    [​IMG]

I have used IC 74107 as it was in multisim,but you can use any flip-flop the effect will be the same....

Good Luck

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      24.1 KB
      Views:
  4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    True if the requirment switches logic level signals. An alternate action PB switch will handle a much larger range of voltages and currents. The OP did not state what the switch is handling.

5. NotVerySmart

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Actually I guess I should of mentioned this, it's not actually a "button" that will be activating the toggle circuit, it will be a relay.

This to be exact:2 ch momentary RF transmitter/receiver

I want Relay1 to operate as a momentary circuit, but when I trigger Relay2 I want that circuit to stay on until I trigger it again, but you can only buy these things as all channels momentary or all channels toggle.

Both the receiver and circuits activated by the relays will be 12v

[​IMG]

6. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Don't forget to de-bounce the switch or relay. A 555 as a 20 ms oneshot will do.