Tuned oscillator design & calculation & barkhausen criteria ? ?

hkntrt

Joined Jun 20, 2012
Hi

Tuned collector oscillator is simple and have less companent than others , easy to build and a lot of simple transmitter circuits have tuned collector oscillator.I've got no problem with calculating frequency 1/2pi(sqrt L * C ).
Problem is feedback and barkhausen criteria ( A * β >= 1 ) and this oscillator don't have a collector resistor (Rc). impedance of tank circuit have a effect on current of collector like resistor(DC). Should dc biasing design of transistor include that impedance ? there is no really telling everyting about tuned collector oscillator and no calculations on web ! ..... and many questions in my mind.

Can anyone please give me a example with all calculations ? I don't want to learn more theory.

and sorry for bad english :)

Attachments

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
DC design would be done on the basis of the tank inductance being assumed an effective short circuit or very low resistance. Set Rb & Re accordingly with assumed HFE for required Ic. Single Rb bias is simple option, but probably OK for this 'theoretical' situation with the Re giving reasonable Q point stability with HFE variation for the BJT.

You have a common base configuration Colpitts in this instance. Other Colpitts forms are even more difficult to predict in terms of outcomes - e.g the common emitter version may even 'run' in effective Class C mode when oscillations stabilize.

Barkhausen is indicative only and may not guarantee oscillation will occur in practice. Oscillators of this type are effectively non linear. Barkhausen is based on linear systems theory. Along with the non linear issue it's probably why it is difficult to find simple design models guaranteed to work - it's probably a case of 'build and tweak'.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I haven't looked at your overall design. However, if it's a Common Base mode you need a bypass capacitor from Base to ground.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
While you claim to have researched the topic without success it would surprise me if you couldn't find several well documented examples of a Common Base Colpitts oscillator - with values. The example you gave earlier purports to be a Colpitts but it does not have the classic Colpitts structure around the inductor / capacitive divider topology.
I'd suggest doing some further research and evaluating the more reliable standard forms.

hkntrt

Joined Jun 20, 2012
I build and simulate colpitts oscillator schema in wikipedia and other examples i found using ltspice but it is not working.Presumably i am doing something wrong ?

Attachments

hkntrt

Joined Jun 20, 2012
@Jony130 your design is working i learned what must be stop time , maximum timestep from your design but when i adjust stop time , time step correctly to wikipedia's circuit it did not work , 100 pF capacitor are too high ?

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Well don't bother that this circuit don't work in simulation.
Simulations always have a problem with all sorts of generators.
Also this circuit from wiki look suspicious and, in particular coil value 150nH.
And I think that LC generators are the most difficult of all the basic analog electronic circuits. the Colpittsa generator is very difficult circuit, you might even say a tricky circuit (even more tricky are other basic generators - Hartley and Meissner). Unfortunately, textbooks are reluctant to write about it, because in theory everything works.

hkntrt

Joined Jun 20, 2012
Unfortunately, textbooks are reluctant to write about it, because in theory everything works.
You are right.Lc oscillators are diffucult to calculate and textbooks aren't including "exactly" practical informations.What can you suggest about generating easily high frequency sine wave without tank circuit ?

Thanks