Tuned Circuits on microphones

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by veenife, Mar 9, 2014.

1. veenife

Thread Starter Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Hi,

i was reading about Tuned Circuits... I kinda understand the concept.. but im curious to know how is that applied on microphones, if at all....???

i mean is it in any way used to shape the microphone frequency response???
    if yes... how exactly??

Cheers

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm probably too old for this, but, I never saw a frequency shaping device in a microphone of the 1970's, and I was there working with a band, fixing their broken cords and making sure they didn't get electrocuted. I feel sure that some high end microphones have some circuitry in them, but I've never seen one.

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I would not call it a tuned circuit. When I think of a tuned circuit I think of a resonant narrow band pass filter that has a very high Q.

I would use the term "frequency compensation" or "equalization" circuit.

Many audio transducers have a frequency response that is not ideally flat. Sometimes it is desirable to use an equalizer or equalization circuit to get the desired frequency response.

Here are some examples of audio equalizers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

http://www.behindthemixer.com/content/how-to-eq-vocals-in-six-easy-steps

4. veenife

Thread Starter Member

Jan 16, 2014
    but mr chips... you mean this eq circuits are build in the microphone???

my curiosity goes more over if there is any electronics build in the mic that shapes the frequency response?

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    the more usual are slots and phasing in the mics to change the pattern of he microphones. sometimes, size of slots or holes are used to modify the frequency response, mostly to flatten it. there would be no reason to put a resonant circuit in a microphone. all the response modifications shold be external, in an equalizer or such.