Tugging the Gauss - triggering a Hall-effect, and back

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Now for the "Math Rock of the Day" question,

Actually, it isn't quite that simple. (Well, not to me, anyway...)

I have a practical problem that I'd like to solve using stuff that I have.

Namely, some UGN-3130 Hall-effect sensors - coupled with bits of wire, ferrites, what have you - to determine when current through a circuit is above or below 2A, +/- 10%.

According to the datasheet, these little jewels trip when gauss is 175, and release when it is -175, within a certain temp range and all that stuff.

So, what I'm thinking is that I can establish a -175 static gauss bias on one side of the Hall-effect, and let it get overpowered on the other side by the desired 2A cutoff point.

Sure, I could buy a more modern Hall-effect sensor that could do all that for me. What's the fun in that?

Trouble is, I go searching for calculators for this kind of thing, and usually bump into formulas that include integrals, which make my eyes immediately glaze over - I'm not a calculus type of guy.

I'm thinking there has to be a relatively simple way to calculate Gauss from a coil (whether air or iron core) and then use the distance formula (btw, nobody has described the units in the searches I've done; distance squared vs field strength) in order to have a bias Gauss coil/electromagnet on one side of the sensor to keep it turned off, or have it turned on via a 2A current through a coil.

I hope this all makes sense. If you really want a schematic, say so.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
That's the thing; I could get some linear Hall-effect sensors and use a comparator, or using a switching Hall-effect sensor (like I have) and use the hysteresis of the sensor vs the intensity of the field as the comparator.

Since it's -175 Gauss to turn off, and +175 Gauss to turn on, I'd like to convert that to a range of around 200mA (ballpark) difference in the current, to give, say, a range of 1.9A to 2.1A.

I picked up some small ferrites the other day, both rod and toroidal form. Perhaps I'll just fiddle with it and see if I can come up with anything. I really would prefer to know how to calculate Gauss as a function of number of turns... the calculators I tried did not really seem to make sense.

This one does close to what I want:
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/electromagnetism/solenoid
but the B-field calculation seems a bit strange. If I made an air core flat spiral on a PCB that was very thin (say, 1oz copper) the calculator indicates gauss would be far stronger than a wound core even 1/8" long.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That linear output sensor might function as a probe to see how various windings produce external fields.

By the way, that + and - 175 Gauss figure seems to indicate that the current has to reverse. I don't think it will show a unipolar 200 ma difference.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What I had intended to do was to have a coil on one side of the Hall-effect sensor with a static current flowing through it, providing the negative Gauss with an offset to turn of the sensor output; basically around -3,325 Gauss, which would correspond to -1.9A, or 3,500-175 Gauss.

When the current sensor coil hits 3,675 Gauss, the net effect on the Hall-effect sensor will be -3,325+3,675=175, causing it to turn on.

In this way, the Hall-effect sensor provides the hysteresis. The adjustment is provided by the spacing between the coils, and the Hall-effect sensors' placement between the two coils.

Does that not sound like a feasible concept?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
As luck would have it, as I was rummaging around in my inductor box, I discovered that I had a set of four high-current inductors with cylindrical magnets glued on the top of them... and I can trigger the HES on and off with it. I think perhaps a bit of tweaking on the number of turns, or maybe a parallel current path via resistors, and I'll have a viable sensor with hysteresis. :)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You can run some experiments with all that.

I have yet to mess with Hall effect sensors. I saw an article about someone using fragments of magnets glued to cockroach nymphs to track motion with 3 sensors. They were sensitive enough that he could see breathing movements.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I hadn't really messed with Hall-effect sensors before either.

I'd bought about a dozen of these UGN3130's in Philmore packaging 10 years or so ago, and they got lost in a move. :rolleyes: Recently ran across them again, and while designing an experimental H-bridge, decided they were the easiest and lowest-loss way to monitor current.

Getting way OT here, but I started trying to use a sense resistor on the bottom of the H-bridge, common to both sides, and switching the high side to limit current. Forgot about the current recirculation through the high-side MOSFET body diode when switched off. Switching the high side was mandatory due to the use of N-ch MOSFETs all around, and leakage in the high-side drivers.

So, that meant the sense resistor had to be moved to the high side. However, that also meant building a high-side supply for comparators, and I felt that things were getting a bit too Rube Goldberg-ish. If I had an "over-the-top" comparator sitting around, or at least one that had R-R inputs, I might've gone that route; but no such luck.

So that's when I hit on the Hall-effect sensor idea.

I'm going to be trying them out for stepper motor feedback as well. I have some NEMA 23 size motors, and a few years back I picked up some surplus Hall wheels for next to nothing that have 200 teeth on them and 1/4" hubs - perfect for what I'm doing.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Sounds like an interesting project. Hall effect for high side sensing sounds easier than trying to live with mega common mode voltage.

I would have been a coward and used a linear output sensor with a window comparator, but you have the goodies already.

Lost in a move? I put my stuff in safe places. They do turn up on occasion, but only after I have done a work-around.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sounds like an interesting project. Hall effect for high side sensing sounds easier than trying to live with mega common mode voltage.
Well, that's why I abandoned that approach pretty quickly.

I would have been a coward and used a linear output sensor with a window comparator, but you have the goodies already.
After some more experimentation, I think I'm going to have to go with a HES that's more sensitive.

In order to get these HE's to switch, I had to use a 2lb holding force neodymium magnet and get it within about 3/8" of the sensor to turn it on, then back off to nearly 1/2" to get it to turn off.

I'd need a pretty good-sized coil with lots of turns to generate that kind of gauss, even if it were butted right up against the sensor.

Roughly 6,100 Gauss had no effect whatsoever; 9 turns, two layers of #20 magnet wire wound on a spool 175 mils long on a cylindrical iron ferrite core; est. permeability of 200 (unverified). I'll have to do some more fiddling around to figure out just what the perm is of that core material.

Lost in a move? I put my stuff in safe places. They do turn up on occasion, but only after I have done a work-around.
You don't know my wife. :rolleyes: She's a tinkerer's bane. Her idea of "tidying up" is to put a bunch of unrelated stuff in boxes that are labeled something completely different, and jam it in a closet someplace. We moved about 7 years ago, and many things wound up stuffed in boxes that I still have no idea where they are.