Tubular Electromagnets

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ringleader, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Ringleader

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 29, 2009

I have a couple of questions about Electromagnets. I tried making one with a nail, and copper wire. Before I turned the EM on, it was already highly attracted to the Neodymium magnets I am using. How can I make it so it has the least amount of attraction to the Neodymium magnets when there is no electricity flowing through the copper wire? IE what materials should I use, and if I should even use Neodymium magnets.

It is necessary that there is one electromagnet and one magnet, not both of either. I really don't want to resort to buying one, because they are so simple to make, and so very expensive to buy where I looked. Buying one would be a last priority, but if you know where I can get one that fills the prerequisites nicely and cheaply, please do not hesitate to tell me. If you know which materials would be ideal for this, and where I could get them, this would be most preferable and I would be appreciative for your help.;)

The electromagnet itself only needs to be about 2 inches long, and I already have the copper wire.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A straw perhaps, to make an open air magnet? Part of the problem is the iron focuses the magnetic field being generated, which is why their used.

Wonder how a graphite bundle (as in pencil lead) would react?
  3. Ringleader

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Hmm, I used a 2mm graphite core and it didn't seem to do anything more then air.

But I did fix the problem.