Tube Amp problem

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
Yeah, it did not seem right as I wrote it.
I saw it more than once but it may have been more complicated. Not just a bulb.

Edit:
Google has hits for the ne-2 technique. I have not found much but it may require 2 or 3 in series.

Last edited:

bagster

Joined Oct 15, 2014
Ok, so i measured the resistence on the OT...well the primes are somewhere at 250 ohms...and the sec is 1,5 ohm... i guess...damn

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
That may be ok.
Measure to see if there is resistance from primary to secondary.
One probe to either primary lead and other probe to either secondary lead.
Should read infinite. Of course, don't let your fingers touch both probes :)

What test equipment do you have access to?

bagster

Joined Oct 15, 2014
Well i have a multimeter...a middle price ranged one...unfortunately no variac...I read some threads where someone said that the resistence between the secondaries should be over 200 khms..like megs... and in my case it is just a few ohms...

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
on tube amps the primary resistance sounds right, the secondary too. the primary is wound with many turns of fine wire and should match the poutput impedance of the tube, the secondary is wound with thickier wire and not as much to match the 4 to 8 ohm speaker impedance.

bagster

Joined Oct 15, 2014
hmmm...so the ot should be relatively fine... maybe a bad solder joint...i'll rewire the whole thing... and let wou guys know...thank you...for now...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The sneaky part is that a transformer that seems reasonable on an ohm meter can arc internally at several hundred volts. Measure all you want, but you will still need experience and intuition to develop the courage to bin a $50 transformer just because you can't find anything else wrong.

bagster

Joined Oct 15, 2014
The sneaky part is that a transformer that seems reasonable on an ohm meter can arc internally at several hundred volts. Measure all you want, but you will still need experience and intuition to develop the courage to bin a $50 transformer just because you can't find anything else wrong.
The arc-ing situation seems right...but...i would hear it...wouldn't I... well not while playing...and that is when it arcs...hmmm i just found an ot for a princeton deluxe from hammond...it is the output transformer thet that weber copied and sells in their kits for this amp.... anyway...i will resolder the whole thing ,try again with more atention to the ground...maybe i will star ground it this time...replace the sockets as well just to be shure...and...if it will act tje same, i'll put the money down for a hammond...but still one question...if it arced at some point...would it still work

Joined Nov 30, 2010
if it arced at some point...would it still work
No. If it arced, the carbon path is established and it will not heal itself. The proof is in the output sound, so you can hear it, but you have to know what you're listening for, and that requires experience that resembles wisdom. A real pro would know in a few seconds. An amateur might fuss with it until he gives up and never gets it right.

bagster

Joined Oct 15, 2014
Well I'm in for the long run...so...giving up is not a choice...as Edison said...1000 variables that didn't work... Thank you for your help...but we must agree that none of us was borned wise...but we learned... i do think that someone with experience could tell in a sec what the probl is...but that way he'd take my experience away...

bagster

Joined Oct 15, 2014
so... you said it wouldn' t work anymore... but mine does...it just dropped a lot of volume and clarity...and... i do not get it..it happened over night...

I found a cheaper route than these special output transformers, a freq response test on a regular 230->12-0-12 toroid showed a flat response from 20Hz to 20kHz, so i built a mono prototype otl amp, hooked my power toroid to the output. Yup it worked just as good, if not better than the usual push pull with a interleave wound EI output transformer for many times the money.

Downside here is that the power supply becomes a bit more complicated as you need two separate filament windings isolated from each other as the upper tubes cathode swings between the two split supply rails with the signal while the lower tubes cathode is fixed at the negative rail, output stage is a totem pole output much like most solid state amps.

A 80VA rated 230VAC to 12-0-12VAC toroid as the output transformer:

Well you should stick to simple single ended tube circuits for now. These "otl" circuits are quite a bit more complicated and should only be attemted by professionals.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
so... you said it wouldn' t work anymore... but mine does...it just dropped a lot of volume and clarity...and... it happened over night...
Sorry to be disagreeable, but, "dropped quite a lot of volume and clarity...overnight" is one definition of, "failed" or, "doesn't work properly".