Ttl pic16f88

aGpLT

Joined Jan 21, 2010
Hello everyone, i have one question. I am using ITR8402 optical interrupter and in output i get 1.7V, (0.7V - when interrupted.) So my question is : Will my uC get information correctly ? are these outputs enough for uC to recognize low and high impulse ?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Can you post a circuit on how you have this device connected in a circuit?
Sounds like the phototransistor is not turning on or off all the way.
B. Morse

aGpLT

Joined Jan 21, 2010
Can you post a circuit on how you have this device connected in a circuit?
Sounds like the phototransistor is not turning on or off all the way.
B. Morse
in circuit i have indicator and i see when my led turn on always when i interrupt when it turn off. i think everything is working. here is circuit: http://www.ipix.lt/desc/88258441/ as you see there is one gnd near output, its my mistake, ignore it.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
ah i see, my big mistake :> what about that resistor ? what value to choose ?
Do you mean for R1?

R1 = (Vsupply - Vf_LED) / Desired_LED_Current

Make sure you don't exceed the rating of the optointerruptor's output. You'll probably be OK if you stay below 2/3 of it's rating.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
ah i see, my big mistake :> what about that resistor ? what value to choose ?
That would depend on the LED you are using, for a general rule of thumb, for 5 volts I use 330 - 470 ohm, 12 volts I use 1K - 4.7K but it all depends on the LED you have in the circuit.

B. Morse

aGpLT

Joined Jan 21, 2010
That would depend on the LED you are using, for a general rule of thumb, for 5 volts I use 330 - 470 ohm, 12 volts I use 1K - 4.7K but it all depends on the LED you have in the circuit.

B. Morse
So my voltage is 5V i used 330 ohm resistor and checked my voltage output, without interruption output is 1.3V when interrupted voltage go 0V. So main problem for voltage drop is R1, y ?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Wait a minute, that won't work right.

Try it this way instead:

Your TTL out to your uC should have a range of 0.63v to 5v.

With the way you were doing it before, the LED was causing too much of a voltage drop.

Adding a transistor to drive the LED gets around that problem.

You may need a pull-down resistor from the base of the transistor to the emitter (ground). 3k to 5k should work fine.

If you don't have a 2N2222, a 2N3904, 2N4401, or many other NPN general purpose /small signal/switching transistors will work just fine.

Attachments

aGpLT

Joined Jan 21, 2010
If you follow the new schematic, you will be well within the TTL specifications.
Thank You for help :) still i edited circuit a little bit. Because i got different results when i measured, OUTPUT: without interruption - 1.9V with interruption 5.3V. So i experimented to find out what value of resistors i need. And got got this circuit (below). OUTPUT: without interruption - 0.8V with interruption 5.3V.