Trying to upscale the horizontal scan rate

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by secretempire1, Jul 24, 2012.

1. secretempire1

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Hey guys, this is my first post here (woooo!!!)

I was trying to hook my Nintendo 64 (composite Yellow - Video, Red/White - Audio) up to my HDTV and it wasn't working. I did some Googling, and what I think the problem is, is that the N64 outputs at a low resolution at 15.625 kHz while modern HDTV's can only accept a minimum of 31 kHz signals. (Here's a decent description http://postback.geedorah.com/extra/a_matter_of_visual_precision.htm)

I want to upscale or convert the signal to 31 kHz. But I don't know a whole lot about video signals, so I can't really design one all too well. Then again, I don't even know if the description of the problem I gave it correct They sell a piece of hardware that does exactly what I want, but its $90.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, any obscure parts or expensive parts is no problem, I have an unlimited and free supply to any part on Mouser or Digikey (knowing the right people has its perks :p).

2. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    If you are talking about 15.625kHz,I assume it is PAL.
    Most of the HDTVs I have seen accept PAL at the AV inputs with no problems.
    Both of these type of TVs in our house accept 15.625kHz PAL,so you should be able to display the Nintendo signal without problems.

The only HD video inputs they have are HDMI.

The last generation of tube TVs used storage technology to present stored lines between the existing ones,which made line structure effectively invisible,but didn't increase the vertical or horizontal resolution at all.
    Converting your line rate will have a similar result.

3. secretempire1

Jul 24, 2012
    I'm NTSC. But then again, like I said, I don't know a whole lot about video signals, so I'm probably mistaken.

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Does your HDTV have a composite video input? If so it should work with the Nintendo signal.

5. secretempire1

Jul 24, 2012
    Naturally, that was the first thing I tried. Some people reported success with plugging it into the composite, but that didn't work either.

I asked my brother who had tried before me, and he said that when he plugged it into his own HDTV in his room, it didn't work, but when he plugged it into my family's old tube TV, it worked fine.

6. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Totally dumb question, but you ARE setting the TV set to use the A/V inputs, right??

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes. My CRT TV accepts external inputs but I have to press a button on the remote labeled, "input".

8. secretempire1

Jul 24, 2012
    lol, yes, obviously