Trying to understand battery circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dmarciano, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dmarciano

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2007
    At my job we have an instrument that runs off a custom battery pack and my company would like me to build a battery tester to be used in the field. So I opened up one of the dead batteries to see how they are step, however I don't fully understand what is going on.

The battery pack consist of 5 rechargeable NiCad, 1.2V 3000mAH wired in series. There are three on the bottom with two stacked on top making a stem of sorts. There is two contacts on either side of the top of the stem (Tab 1 & Tab 2). These tabs are what connect to the instrument to run the instrument. On the very top there is a circular plug with four pins (Pin 1, 2, 3, 4) and this is where the battery is charged.

The positive end of the battery series is connected to Tab 1 and Pin 1. The negative end of the battery series is connected to Tab 2 and Pin 2. This I understand and makes sense to run the instrument and to be charged through. It is the other two pins that confuse me. Pin 3 is connected to Pin 4 with what I think is a diode. When I opened of the battery this piece crumbled but it was quite small, cylindrical, and contained glass which is why I thought it is probably a diode and not a resistor.

Does anyone have an idea what the purpose of Pin 3 and Pin 4 could be? I was thinking that when the charger is attached to all the pins and turned on, the charger sends a signal through these pins to see a battery is attached to the charger. If it doesn't get a signal back it thinks that no battery is connected and starts blinking the "Fail" light. When it does get a signal back then it turns on the actual charging circuitry.

I quickly put together an image of the circuit to help visualize it. Please disregard that it isn't a professional schematic, and I just wanted to make something quick that would do the job. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The crumbled part might be a temperature sensor.
    Try measuring the characteristics from pin 3 to 4 on a good battery.

3. dmarciano

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Measuring the resistance I got about .5Ohms My meter read 0 for diode. If this is a thermistor, then it would just be measuring the temperature inside the battery pack. Now that I think of it, the older chargers did have a "HOT" light, although the newer ones don't. We haven't used the older chargers in quite a while and completely forgot about that light. Thanks, I feel pretty confident that is what it is now. Thanks :D