Trying to understand a colpitt oscillator

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Correct, C2 is for positive feedback. C1 and L1 are a resonant tank circuit that determines the frequency.

I answer the other question in post #2. Still having trouble wrapping your head around it?

Your schematic in post #19 is seriously flawed. You have one end of the Colpitts tank circuit capacitvely coupled to a power supply rail, which is an effective ground. You show a wave form under C2 and L1 that can not be there due to C3.

Last edited:

silv3r.m00n

Joined Apr 15, 2010
Correct, C2 is for positive feedback. C1 and L1 are a resonant tank circuit that determines the frequency.

I answer the other question in post #2. Still having trouble wrapping your head around it?

Your schematic in post #19 is seriously flawed. You have one end of the Colpitts tank circuit capacitvely coupled to a power supply rail, which is an effective ground. You show a wave form under C2 and L1 that can not be there due to C3.
1. "Correct, C2 is for positive feedback. C1 and L1 are a resonant tank circuit that determines the frequency." - Thanks for this.

2. "I answer the other question in post #2. Still having trouble wrapping your head around it?" - Where ? All you mentioned in post#2 is that grounding creates inversion on other side of the tank circuit....

3. "Your schematic in post #19 is seriously flawed" - Ok lets take this one :

What exactly happens ? What should happen ? .... if the middle of C1 and C2 is not grounded.

4. "capacitvely coupled to a power supply rail, which is an effective ground." - Just a general question about this , if I connect a capacitor to one terminal of a power supply , the other end of the capacitor is equivalent to a ground ?

Regards
Silver