Trying to repair a bigscreen TV

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
First, give all of them a very good dusting out using compressed air. This can work wonders, it fixed my oscilloscope. (N.B. Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner.)

Then, look for bulging capacitors - ones which feel slightly domed on the top. These are an easy fix.

After that, it gets more complicated... But post back if these two tests come back bad.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
haha, I've created a monster!

I was checking out my competition's ads and most specify models 2005 and newer. That would be a good idea I think. would prevent you from showing up to find you are dealining with a dinosaur like this 1/4 ton mitsubishi I just brought home.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
haha, I've created a monster!

I was checking out my competition's ads and most specify models 2005 and newer. That would be a good idea I think. would prevent you from showing up to find you are dealining with a dinosaur like this 1/4 ton mitsubishi I just brought home.
Yeah, that Mitisubishi is huge. Probably not HD. But would still be awesome, even as just a learning experience. Electronics have changed as they modernise; inside it's probably chock full of discrete logic and analog circuitry for the video instead of the modern RCA which looks to have only a BGA packaged display processor which manages everything.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Good thing You're in Texas, or I'd be over to "Help" you dispose of the leftovers :D Like I need more "supplies" :p

Success is a great teacher.............Please don't overlook the humble pie, and get careless with these high-voltage beasties.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Good thing You're in Texas, or I'd be over to "Help" you dispose of the leftovers :D Like I need more "supplies" :p

Success is a great teacher.............Please don't overlook the humble pie, and get careless with these high-voltage beasties.
I've touched a flyback before. It ****ing hurts. That was only a small portable B&W TV, probably less than 5kV. Some big screens can have 50kV supplies! And a rear-projection will probably use a triple flyback for the three tubes.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Okay well I got an offer to buy a 32" TV with broken LCD + remote control for £20. I think I can sell it for £30, or I could strip it for parts and sell each individually for maybe £100 total, but I might not sell all the bits. What to do......

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Okay well I got an offer to buy a 32" TV with broken LCD + remote control for £20. I think I can sell it for £30, or I could strip it for parts and sell each individually for maybe £100 total, but I might not sell all the bits. What to do......
I can't speak from experience because I haven't sold one yet, but my expectation is that the market for smaller TVs might not be what the market for big screens is. how much will it cost you in gas to go pick it up? if that cost is approaching £10 then not worth it in my book. also, what's your time worth (i.e. what's minimum wage) and how long will it take you to retrieve it and how long will it take you to fix it? it seems you may end up with more invested than you can get out of it. All that is assuming you are only in it for the $$ (or ££); it sounds like you have alot more experience than I do & the majority of what I'm getting out of this endeavor is experience.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I can't speak from experience because I haven't sold one yet, but my expectation is that the market for smaller TVs might not be what the market for big screens is. how much will it cost you in gas to go pick it up? if that cost is approaching £10 then not worth it in my book. also, what's your time worth (i.e. what's minimum wage) and how long will it take you to retrieve it and how long will it take you to fix it? it seems you may end up with more invested than you can get out of it. All that is assuming you are only in it for the $$ (or ££); it sounds like you have alot more experience than I do & the majority of what I'm getting out of this endeavor is experience.
The guy is like 2 miles from me. I'm just going to do it as an experiment; if it doesn't work out I'll only buy TVs with bad PSUs. I think £20 is a worthy investment to "test the waters."

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
You know what kind of surprise I got when I opened up the 32" LCD?

It was full of quality capacitors. Rubycon and United Chemi Con. And not just cheap general purpose ones - proper low ESR ones (YXF & KY series) for PSUs and motherboards.

It's a 32" Philips 720p LCD.

Maybe only Philips has the sense that ruining their brand image to sell at very low prices is not worth it.

I'm not sure how old it is but given it's 720p it's probably older than 3 years, so maybe it's changed since then. That LCD could have been a new model and priced fairly high.

So, the end of cheap trash-picked TVs?

In a way, it would be nice... in that electronics would be more reliable.

But in another way, no more cheap TVs for me. :rolleyes::(

The LCD is cracked internally. Externally, you could not tell any damage unless you look really carefully. It was apparently dropped by the home moving guys.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I bought a Phillips PM 3226 'scope in 1977. It is my only scope and I have only had to repair it once. (A part cracked from heating/cooling cycles.)

Of course, that doesn't prove Phillips STILL installs quality in their products.
It only shows that they did good work 34 years ago.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ok, just cracked open the new RCA last night. found the previous tech had removed parts (namely, the metal cover over the cable box in the red box) and threw them away apparently. The cable jack had been ripped out (circled red portion of the pic); I stole one from an old RF modulator I that didn't need and soldered it on, soldered the center conductor to the board. Tested it out, works but video is fuzzy. Opened up the screen and cleaned off the lenses. looks like someone has been emptying their vacuum cleaner and ash trays onto the lenses for the past 5 years. Video is clear now, but no sound. speaker coils measure 7.5ohm, which I traced all the way back to board so I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the board. will troubleshoot this evening.

my question: the missing cover on the cable box; is it crucial? Is it just to keep dust out or does it act as some kind of screen to keep unwanted signals out?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
The shield is fairly important; it helps reduce external noise, and emissions by the receiver itself. (Sounds odd how a receiver could emit noise, but the PLL/oscillator does.)

Use a can of compressed air to blow out all the dust.

Do you have a scope?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The shield is fairly important; it helps reduce external noise, and emissions by the receiver itself. (Sounds odd how a receiver could emit noise, but the PLL/oscillator does.)

Use a can of compressed air to blow out all the dust.

Do you have a scope?
OK thanks!

One more question; is the shield cover engineered a specific way out of a specific metal? Basically what I'm after is, can I just slap any old piece of metal there and solder/glue it in place, or should I be looking for an OEM replacement?

Yes I have a scope

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
OK thanks!

One more question; is the shield cover engineered a specific way out of a specific metal? Basically what I'm after is, can I just slap any old piece of metal there and solder/glue it in place, or should I be looking for an OEM replacement?

Yes I have a scope
Some tin foil might be good enough

If you have a scope get it to play some audio out of the speakers, then post the trace of the audio signal. No signal: burnt out power amplifier IC somewhere.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
On Philips reliability in the past, betwean 1978 to 2002 they were great for making money from repairs, certainly kept me busy. The other sets i handled were Hitachi & Toshiba, no money there in repairs to reliable.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Some tin foil might be good enough

If you have a scope get it to play some audio out of the speakers, then post the trace of the audio signal. No signal: burnt out power amplifier IC somewhere.
Ok, will do. later on this evening when i get home.
thanks

On Philips reliability in the past, betwean 1978 to 2002 they were great for making money from repairs, certainly kept me busy. The other sets i handled were Hitachi & Toshiba, no money there in repairs to reliable.
what about RCA? So far they account for 3 out the 5 TVs I have come across in my very short time as tv repair hobbyist