Trying to put the pieces together...

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
I have been trying to figure out some things in electronics lately...i think today i hit on a big one that mentally closed a loop for me in a way.

it relates to op amp circuits and transfer functions.

i dont remember if the variables within transfer functions are all circuit dependent parameters...i know that frequency is always involved...and i remember a lot of sin() cos() integration and derivatives.

but i guess the question is this...

if i can describe the behavior of a system with LaPlace/Fourier transformable equations, can i not simply break down the results and reverse engineer a function that way?

is that how app notes guys come up with their circuits?

???

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
I can't speak for hard core designers but I have a bit of experience with it.
Yes you can somewhat work from a transfer function but it's a bit tricky. You know what a pole or zero looks like so you can put them in... but I've never actually managed to do that.
I have however, simply thought of the basic behaviour.
Capacitors are a short in high frequency, inductors in low frequency.
Decide what kind of current path you want at what frequency and you can sprinkle some elements down.

For example, a PI controller is a very high DC gain which drops off at higher frequencies but stays non-zero.

Op amp circuit gain is Zf / Zin
For high gain you want Zf high and Zin low.
For low gain you want Zf low and Zin high.

To get a high DC gain you make Zf huge at DC - a capacitor. Just make Zin a resistor for now, Rin.
Coincidentally at high frequency the capacitor will be low impedance, lowering your gain.
Practically you don't want a capacitor by itself in the feedback (due to offset currents and such) so you add a large parallel resistor.
That adds a DC path, lowering Zf. Your gain is no longer infinite, but oh well.
You also don't want the gain to go to zero at high frequency, so add a resistor in series with the capacitor. Then your high frequency gain is just Rf / Rin.

For more complicated circuits I think you'd start off with a basic idea, put it down, then find faults and fix them, or add features.

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
That does make sense. I just have never made that connection until today for some reason - between transfer functions and circuit based characteristics like frequency and impedance...not sure why - its kind of a "DUH - you idiot" moment, to be honest

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
i dont know if self-bumping is outlawed here, but i am dying to know if this is true or not.

have pity on me mods.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
App note guys are aliens who bleed silicon. They sleep on a pile of paper as a pillow and their drool dries into patterns that we read as app notes. Thats how its done.

I think.

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
App note guys are aliens who bleed silicon. They sleep on a pile of paper as a pillow and their drool dries into patterns that we read as app notes. Thats how its done.

I think.

Hm.

Interesting.

I should kidnap one, make him drool into a beaker and sell it on ebay to private engineering firms.

:)