Trying to make sense of Wiring Diagram from Motor Plate

pgrodz

Joined May 2, 2012
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I was given a new machine for my shop with no electrical plug. I opened up the motor plate but have been unsuccessful thus far in wiring up the motor. Occasionally I get the motor to start turning, but then immediately trip the breaker.

For what I know, the motor is designed for 110/220v, single phase, and when it was originally wired up, there was a switch for reversible rotation.

I attached a scan of what the motor plate looks like.

Is anyone able to make sense of the wiring? I have 110v service to my shop (eastern US) and tried wiring up to match both diagrams with the lines at U1 and U2 as each of the (+) wires, and the neutral connected to the ground.

Attachments

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
do you have 2 wire links present between your connections-the plate is showing how to wire the motor for 2 different supplys-one is 120v the other for 220v which you select by moving the link and making connection to suit....

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yes there are two windings in the motor, one is connected across terminals U1 and U3, the other across U2 and U4, for 110V they are both in Parallel, and for 220V they are in Series. There should be a capacitor for phase displacement

Last edited:

pgrodz

Joined May 2, 2012
Thanks for the input. I don't yet have a meter, but I was able to figure out the two different windings using spare wire and an old lamp.

I do now have it wired up to the regular outlet (110v)

The one thing that might have messed me up, the other motors in my shop that are 220v, but have two separate 110v (+) wires going into the motor... I'm guessing here but the motor is then wired differently from the other motor and I can only run this if I have a single 220v wire coming into the motor?

Otherwise, thanks for the help.

-Paul