Trying to make my bike safer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Printz, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Printz

Thread Starter Member

Oct 2, 2010
    I want to make an LED taillight for scooter. I found the LED's I plan on using and I'm working on the board now. I have been doing a bunch f searching and have kinda decided on using a 555 timer with a 4017 for the output. My goal for the light is to be a tail light with running lights, and a brighter brake light. I also want to use half of the array, each side, to be progressively lit blinkers. So the lights turn on from the center out to indicate the direction. I would really appreciate any help with this, it's been a few years since I've built a circuit from the board up.

Mitchell

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Can you post a diagram of what you're thinking of? Also, if this application was automotive I think it'd be against forum rules to help. Safety first. Maybe bicycles don't count.

You can buy cheap lights that do what you're describing, except I've never seen a bike light that indicates braking. That'd be a great idea, but of course you'd have to create a signal to indicate that the brakes ate applied.

3. Printz

Thread Starter Member

Oct 2, 2010
    It's not really automotive as much my scooter. It's a Chinese scooter, so no one makes a taillight that does what I'm trying to do. The only things close have been custom made.

I can't really post a diagram right now; I'll work on it though. The plan so far is to do 16 columns of 4 LEDs. Split 8 and 8,the two halves will progressively light in sequence to indicate direction. (make sense?) The whole array should operate as a standard drive/brake light when not engaged as blinkers.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    As the scooter is motorized, modifications to the lighting/turn signals are covered by our guidelines:

Printz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.