Trying to make a CAN based display

Tickers

Joined Dec 24, 2009
I'm working on a project to build a 3-digit 7-segment display that shows values from a Motec M800 ECU over a CAN link. The display must be able to be switched to show values of different sensors from the ECU by means of a rotary switch.

I'm a mechanical engineer, but I know the basics behind CAN from previous experience.

However, that doesn't mean I have any clue on how to actually build a device that operates over CAN from scratch, and it's proving to be an absolute pain to search for (CAN looks the same as can). Does anybody here have any experience with CAN, or know any good websites/books on the subject?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I know a great deal about it. I would estimate that you could accomplish your goal in about 18 months on your own. This would consume proably 1200 hours of your time. I could have working protoypes in 90 days for a great deal less than your time is worth assuming even modest levels of compensation. In the past 20 years of working with various CAN protocols I have not found any published books that would be worth the price. What I know comes from datasheets application notes, designing and building products, plus a bit of reverse engineering.

Tickers

Joined Dec 24, 2009
Thanks for your offer, but this is a learning exercise. I'm searching for any information I can get to help with the build. If you'd be willing to share the sources of your knowledge I'd be extremely grateful.

Tickers

Joined Dec 24, 2009
Hello,

Here is a page with links on the can bus system:
http://www.educypedia.be/computer/datacommunicationbuscan.htm

Greetings,
Bertus
Hi,

Thanks for the link, looks like quite a bit of reading material there.

Truth be told, I was hoping for some instructional website/book offering examples of building with CAN, much like the multitude of sites offering how-to's using RS232, but I guess CAN isn't really for hobbyists.

Tickers

Joined Dec 24, 2009
Exactly, it was just wishful thinking.

I have a little experience with CAN from working in motorsport, where it is used for sensors as well as other things.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would suggest you start with the datasheet and application notes for the Philips (now NXP Semiconductor) SJA1000 Controller and the 82C251 Transceiver. Then I would check out CAN in Automation or CANOpen protocols. There are a number of things that give CAN an advantage in hostile environments and I'd be happy to discuss them with you. Unfortuneately there are no books that I am familiar with that will even come close to meeting your needs.